Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Malum IK

Malum IK

Maybe I'll bring an MX-64 robot instead of the AX-12 one? I mean, eighteens days is a lot of time.
    Who needs to work, amirite? :-)

Re: Malum IK

The idea is: Take the tibia/tarsal brackets from Onyx X, cut all the aluminum in this build this week, 3D print whatever I don't have time to cut, and aim with the body -- the gun is rigidly attached to the chassis.
    I should be able to use the IK from Onyx, with a slight change for new dimensions. I'm thinking I need to control this with a 10 channel air RC controller, rather than Xbees.
    The main component not yet accounted for in the dimensions/clearance is the camera; I'm weighing strapping it on the other side of the gun, or centering it on top for better aiming.

Oh, and power buttons that have higher actuation force, no lever, and not exposed to enemy fire.
    Because, well, I learn from SOME mistakes :-)

4. Re: Malum IK

Heh. I don't know. I think I might have found a bot that needs more work than mine.

Are RC controllers allowed? I noticed no one seems to use them, so I assumed that was to avoid interfering with the signals from smaller digital transmitters (as per robogames 2011 when all the combots switched to 2.4ghz, and we were still using IP cams). Certainly would be an easy, reliable, and good bandwidth system if usable.

Darn; I hear the Columbia team is doing target practice against toggle switches these days ( JK ). I hope to put my power switch somewhere immune to walls... also learning from errors.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Maybe I'll bring an MX-64 robot instead of the AX-12 one? I mean, eighteens days is a lot of time.
    Who needs to work, amirite? :-)
    That's pretty ambitions... for just a little over two weeks left.

Quote Originally Posted by byi View Post
    Are RC controllers allowed?
    I don't see why not...

Quote Originally Posted by GhengisDhon View Post
    I don't see why not...
    Good to know. I thought there might be an unofficial consensus not to use them, given that they don't seem to be used and that I specifically remember the interference headaches in the 2.4ghz band we had previously (albeit less of a problem now that IP cams are phased out). Was considering going that route myself.

The Xbees also use 2.4 GHz, and I don't think there's any risk of "knock out" compared to the 2.4 GHz WiFi spectrum usage ...

The main reason they haven't been popular is that the controls aren't perfect for bots. Four analog axes are like on a game controller, but fire is hard -- for me, I have to either use a toggle switch (and remember to toggle it off when not firing,) or use one of the two "trim" inputs... But the Raspberry Pi controller I had last year was picked apart, and putting it together again is more work than just airlifting the FS-i6 from my Crunch rover bot ...

True. I've seen some transmitters that look a bit like console game controllers. The buttons on those might make better triggers, but I do not know if any are sufficiently configurable to make that viable.

Thread Information