Thread: Why are there two sets of wires going to the electromechanical brake - mobility scooter motor

1. Why are there two sets of wires going to the electromechanical brake - mobility scooter motor

I picked up 5 mobility scooter motors/transaxles, a bunch of wheels and a misc parts box off craigslist. First project is making a remote controlled wagon for the kids to play with/on. I picked up a sabertooth dual 32 so control should be fine. Testing the motors, seem to work fine except one - it has a second set of wires coming off the electromechanical brake - a white/yellow pair and a black pair (not 2x white/black pairs). If I apply 24v to the black pair, brake releases but another 24v to motor, no turning but wires heat up something fierce. My next step is to remove the brake altogether but was hoping to keep them intact.
    Questions
    - thoughts on the extra wires?
    - thoughts on why motor not turning with brake released (related to extra wires)?
    - any good reason to keep remove the brakes? The sabretooth has contacts for using them as failsafe.

Thanks!

Re: Why are there two sets of wires going to the electromechanical brake - mobility scooter motor

Brakes are good if you need to stop.

Does the "mystery" motor have six total wires? And you think four of those may be going to the brake?
    If so, you might want to measure the connectivity, and see whether applying some more juice (perhaps in a sequence) will release it?
    Although I'm totally just guessing here. They might also be sensors, for all I know :-D

Thread Information