Thread: AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

1. AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

Hello forum people,

I am having trouble getting the Arduino IDE to upload to the Arbotix board. I am getting the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arbotix-M"

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
    Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
    Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
    User configuration file is "/Users/elias/.avrduderc"
    User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbserial-AI06IZ0Z
    Using Programmer : arduino
    Overriding Baud Rate : 38400
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

My Setup:
    Arbotix board with nothing else connected except the FTDI USB cable

Troubleshooting I have done:
    1) Tried with fresh installs of Arduino 1.8.9 and 1.6.X (using this guide: https://learn.trossenrobotics.com/pr...6-x-setup.html)
    2) Tried with fresh installs of Arduino 1.0.6 (using this guide: https://learn.trossenrobotics.com/ar...ck-start-guide)
    3) Tried different USB ports on my computer, tried rebooting.
    4) Tried selecting the ports, programmers (AVRISP mkll; AVR ISP; AVRISP mkll (serial)) and boards (Arbotix-M, Arbotix w/ RX Shield) that I found in forum responses with similar errors.

Questions

• Is there a hard reset that I could try on the board? I see the reset button but can’t find any documentation on how to use it? (eg. press hold down then turn board on, etc).
    • Could my board be corrupted? How can I know for sure?
    • What other tests can I do to figure out what is going on?

Thank you for your input. I got the Scorpion X and was really excited about being able to plug and chug with sample scripts but am having a lot of trouble.

Images

Re: AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

It is possible - although not probable - that the FTDI dongle you are using is not plugged into the arbotix correctly, or it is unable to provide enough power to the arbotix. Are the jumpers set correctly? Do any LEDs on the arbotix light up? The reset button simply triggers the ATmega644p to reboot once released, so holding it does nothing. If the bootloader has been corrupted (or was never installed), you can use an AVRISP dongle or other arduino board programmed as a dongle to directly upload your code and/or re-burn the bootloader onto the arbotix.

Another option for adding arbotix support to the Arduino IDE (>=1.6.x) that should work without any issues is described here: (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...the-Board-List). It is best to purge any previous attempts to install arbotix support before using the board manager option. I have not played with that arbotix board manager stuff in a while, so something may have broken with more recent versions of the IDE.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

3. Re: AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

Just a thought, as I bricked one of my Artibox boards a few days ago, let me know if it is possibly a similar situation. I was finished loading a sketch onto it and had the servos running properly with an external power supply, jumper set to run the board from the power supply, not the USB. I simple pulled the FTDI-USB cable off the board ( as in still connected to the USB port on my computer), Something went terribly wrong, it immediately quit running. I was able to use a different board, and everything is fine now, however I power down the power supply AND remove the USB side from my computer, BEFORE I remove the FTDI side, and haven't had a repeat occurrence since.
    May not be your issue, but it was most certainly mine.

Re: AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

Note: I have not used an Arbotix board for a long time now... Now mostly use (OpenCM 9.04, OpenCR, Teensy 3.x (soon Teensy 4) But:

Is this a new board or one you have programmed in the past?

There are many possible things that might be going on, including:

a) No power. The jumper for power is set to VIN and you did not provide VIN...

b) Your FTDI cable is not working. I had one of the Trossen FTDI cable/XBee units fail on me... So I would more likely use a standard FTDI cable.

c) You have an XBee plugged into the Arbotix board. Which will interfere with FTDI.

d) The board does not have a bootloader - If you previously used an AVR programmer to update the board, than maybe erased boot loader. If new board and it fails, maybe contact customer support.

d1) If you have AVR programmer, I would suggest trying to configure it and use it to either A) program it again, or B) upload bootloader.

Personally if/when I use an arbotix board I always use programmer. Such as: https://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/US...rogrammer.aspx

5. Re: AVRDUDE ERROR - arbotix board

Thanks for the input everyone. Turns out power jumper pin was the problem.

SOLUTION
    The power jumper was in the wrong position and therefore wasn't providing enough power to the board. I assumed jumpers would be in the right position when I got the board so I didn't even check them. Turns out that was the problem. I moved it from VIN to USB and was able to upload the blink program using 1.8.9.

Thread Information