Hi everyone,

I enter a subject that many people would like to resolve : Change the standard Xbee by a Pro version on Arbotix boards.

The Arbotix pro board, directly developped for xbee pro is no longer available and not produced anymore. So I have no choice than to keep my Arbotix M mounted on my hexapod running PhantomX code. But I was wondering if I could fit an xbee pro S3b on it because I need to extend my range at about 500m indoor/outdoor. I did range tests with xbee pro S3B and it is ok for the range desired. Now time to implement it on the Arbotix M board.

Space for xbee is not suffisent to fit xbee pro on the arbotix M because the xbee pro module is slightly bigger than standard xbee. That is the first point I have met. Not a problem, I made extension cables so I could connect my Xbee Pro to both radio and hexapod. Using XCTU, I configured both my xbee pro to communicate and set the baud rate at 34800 as specified in phoenix code.

It is important to know that xbee pro is powered with 3,3V like stdrd version but it needs more current to get the full transmission power (xbee pro needs up to 290mAh instead 120mA for stdrd Xbee (S2C)).
So I had 2 choices :
- On XCTU, change PL (Power Level) of the Xbee pro and set it on choice 0 or 1 or 2. I choosed choice 2 :120mA
- Power the xbee pro by a separate power source of 3,3V 2A (using a DIATONE BEC)

Both solutions are not working....

It seems that the communication protocole is not the same between Xbee pro and stdrd xbee.
This is where I am on my project. I need to find a solution to extend my range on my hexapod but I only have this idea.

If someone already found a way to mount a xbee pro on an arbotix M module (perhapse it is just totally impossible) I am listening carefully to your advices

Regards

Elie