Thread: How useful are broadcast ID, Bulk Read/Write and Sync Read/Write? How often do people use them?

1. How useful are broadcast ID, Bulk Read/Write and Sync Read/Write? How often do people use them?

Hi, how often do all of you use these commands? Are these commands useful in controlling a robot with many motors? By using these commands, can I ask different motors to move differently at the same time? When and how often are these commands being used?

Images

Re: How useful are broadcast ID, Bulk Read/Write and Sync Read/Write? How often do people use them?

I use them all the time. It's the most efficient way to communicate. Especially when you are using it for a walking robot.

3. Re: How useful are broadcast ID, Bulk Read/Write and Sync Read/Write? How often do people use them?

Thanks KevinO.

Re: How useful are broadcast ID, Bulk Read/Write and Sync Read/Write? How often do people use them?

I use broadcast ID a lot, and sync write for writing a pose quicker than writing each servo individually. I don't use protocol 2.0, so I don't use bulk read.

Broadcast ID is cool for things like "blink the LEDs of all servos" and "enable or disable torque for all servos at the same time."
    Given that I see up to 2% packet loss under movement at times, I will frequently send the broadcast packets on a repeating schedule, saying "set the state to X," rather than assuming that the first packet always makes it. Separately, for sync write, because animation updates the bus quickly (50-100 times a second,) that kind of takes care of itself.

Thread Information