Thread: Do I need LIPO battery to power the Open CM9.04C with the 485 Extension Board?

1. Do I need LIPO battery to power the Open CM9.04C with the 485 Extension Board?

Hi, I need some confirmation. If I have one SMPC power adapter, do I need a LIPO battery to power the following systems with dynamixels?

a) OpenCM 9.04C+485 Extension Board
    b) OpenCR
    c) U2D2 + U2D2 Power Hub

Not sure if I am correct but far as I know, it seems that the 485 Extension Board, OpenCR and USD2 Power Hub can be powered with one SMCP adapter while U2D2 and OpenCM 9.04C can be powered by the USB port of a PC. In cases a and c, once I have provided power to the 485 Extension Board or the U2D2 Power Hub via the SMPC, do I need to supply power to OpenCM 9.04C and U2D2 via the USB port of a PC?

I will get LIPO batteries when I make an autonomous robot later.

Re: Do I need LIPO battery to power the Open CM9.04C with the 485 Extension Board?

The U2D2 doesn't work without a PC; it is a "dumb" serial port adapter with no smarts.

The OpenCM can run fine on the power supplied through the DXL bus, and can also supply power to the DXL bus if you power it through its LiPo battery input (but it can't supply a lot -- if you control lots/big servos, you want to power the bus separately.)

The main reason to use a LiPo battery is that it behaves better when many/big servos quickly change the load they draw. The SMPS may oscillate or over/under-shoot the target voltage in these cases. Generally, you'll want to parallel a LiPo battery with the SMPS, although making sure that you don't over-charge the LiPo battery is important. A 12.0V power supply parallel with a 3S LiPo battery will generally work well.

3. Re: Do I need LIPO battery to power the Open CM9.04C with the 485 Extension Board?

Thanks jwatte

Thread Information