Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mech Warfare 2020

Mech Warfare 2020

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTEAM.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	7649

Due to the demise of Robogames in 2018 and then the demise of Bay Area Maker Faire last year, we have been looking for alternative events/locations for 2020. We've been in negotiations with Phoenix Fan Fusion (comicon) trying to get a reasonable price. (Unlike Robogames or Maker Faire, they want us to pay for a booth. RTeam would cover the cost of the booth since our travel costs would be considerably reduced)

Phoenix Fan Fusion is May 21-24, and is obviously in Phoenix, AZ. Would like to get and idea of who out there in the Mech Warfare would have potential interest in attending Mech Warfe at Fan Fusion? Don't need solid commitments at this time, just and idea of interst.

2. Re: Mech Warfare 2020

Seems like an interesting venue, but if you're hosting, I'll try to bring something!

Re: Mech Warfare 2020

I need to get the bot working again, what better deadline? I'll likely be there.

Unfortunately, I cannot make it. May 22-24 is Graduation weekend and I'll be working. I'm really glad to hear the interest is still there. Truly is a shame about RoboGames and MakerFaire.

Images

I could probably make it, though no guarantees. Good incentive to get more work done in the next ~3 months

Make sure they'll refund you if they decided to cancel due to covid-19

6. Re: Mech Warfare 2020

I'm glad we're looking for a 2020 event. Unfortunately the Cal Poly team might not be able to secure enough funding for the travel costs, I'll talk to the club officers and see if it's possible. Do we also have to worry about tickets for the event or are we considered vendors as part of the booth?

Images

At this point, I expect this is unlikely to happen? But maybe late May is far enough out (I have my doubts).

The math says it probably won't happen in May, I agree.

On the other hand, the voluntary work-from-home regime could make for very robot-productive lunch and coffee breaks :-D

I would love to be able to say that the Princeton group is in, but honestly I don't think we'll be ready in time. Maybe. I'll see what the others think.

With all of us working from home due to covid-19, I can see our progress either halting or accelerating. We'll see.
    Separately, we'll see if travel is less dicey by then.

So, here is the update on Fan Fusion in Phoenix. RTeam Robotics club has been going back and forth with Fan Fusion to arrive at a reasonable cost for us to attend and hold Mechwarfare. For the space of the arena, pits, tables, chairs, barricades and electrical outlets they initially wanted 13K. We talked them down to 1K since we don't sell anything and they really wanted us to come. Much of the 1K is not refundable if they cancel Fan Fusion. With the zombie apocalypse upon us we felt the odds are high that they may cancel or be told to cancel. We therefore have amicably backed out of fan fusion with hopes of giving it a go next year. In its place we are looking at a local event in Tucson called MegaMania on July 11 at Pima Community College. It is free, requires less planning and is later in July. If it does get canceled the club hasn't waisted money or time. We will post more soon for anyone interested in coming. If the world is better by July then people who fly in can stay at various club member homes. Just don't bring the plague.

Thread Information