Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we move Mech Warfare discussions to some other forum?

1. Should we move Mech Warfare discussions to some other forum?

Since the Trossen forum has virtually zero traffic, and has been actually completely broken for much of the last couple of weeks, is it time to move mech warfare discussion to some other platform? Maybe hackaday.io which has similar functionality for documenting projects and a more active community? Even google groups would probably be preferable to something which is basically unmaintained and likely to disappear at any moment.

Re: Should we move Mech Warfare discussions to some other forum?

Don't all the cool kids have a Discord these days?

I think hackaday might be a good option, though. I'm jwatte on hackaday.io

We could also host a Discourse somewhere affordable. Digital Ocean, perhaps?
    The main problem is that we'd have to run a SMTP server, which always has some personal cost.
    (That being said, I do run one for a few family domains, but it's a constant PITA and continually under-maintained.)

Or maybe something on Amazon Lightsail with SES -- it's a few bucks per month, but that might be doable.
    Google groups are so under-maintained and seems to be constantly at risk of being shut down, like many other Google projects (and like Yahoo groups!)
    Last edited by jwatte; 03-16-2020 at 12:57 PM.

4. Re: Should we move Mech Warfare discussions to some other forum?

The nice thing about hackaday.io, is that there is already an ecosystem for documenting projects similar to the trossen forums. Also, no one needs to host anything. Likely anyone hosting anything dedicated to Mech Warfare will end up with the same fate as these forums in another few years.

I would not be opposed to switching. Bit sad to see the end of something I've been on for a decade, especially since so much is documented here, but yea this is not the best option anymore.

Discord is really quite good and very flexible, but the added exposure to the rest of the hobbyist ecosystem on hackaday would be good.

I agree we should avoid personally hosting things. Definitely reduces the sense of permanence.

Honestly, no matter where we do forum stuff, having a discord for general communication isn't a bad idea.

If we switch, anyone want to make a scraper to pull all the data from here in case this goes down? I find myself referencing stuff from here pretty consistently, even some of the really old stuff. There isn't a readily available means of migration, right?

Images

Really hope the forums live on, at least as a reference/archive... Haven't bought anything recently, but could make a direct donation to keep them online.

...now made a hackaday.io account just in case.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Yeah, these forums are great for reference!

hackaday.io doesn't seem quite right for a discussion forum though.

I'm using my Cloud Powerz to try to set up a Discourse based forum on an appropriate domain. DNS propagation is a slow beast. Hopefully more info tomorrow!

Images

Never touched discord before...

Hoping that quarantine will make me build stuff instead of continuing to sit on my ass, but not too hopeful. Debating whether to pay >$150 in shipping or make a ~170 mile round-trip drive to pick up some steel angle and aluminum sheet/plate for robots and monochromator tables/cabinets. Think I've finally settled on a $70 dual-voltage stick welder that can be used with some TIG torches - reclaimed transformer from ~500W UPS just doesn't cut it powered direct from 60Hz mains.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

"Discourse" is different from "Discord" -- it's a community platform built by some of the people who initially built stack overflow.
    The confusingly named "Discord" (used by all the l33t gamers) is not quite right, either -- that's more real-time (like Slack)

I had the email address for some of you (mainly those I've met in person!)
    You may find an email from mechwarfare.org in your inboxes. If so, that's me, trying to set up a forum specifically for the sport.
    Feel free to register and start posting!
    I'm trying to track down a copy of the lastest-and-greatest rule set -- if someone already has it, that'd be a great thing to contribute.

Thread Information