Thread: AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

1. AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

I have 18 AX12+ servos. I acquired them back in 2012 as part a Robotis Hunanoid kit. I subsequent reused the servos to build a hexapod. The servos worked as expected. After a year or so of tinkering, the hexapod was put aside where it rested till I tried to resurrect it this year while I was in isolation. But the servos, that were working back in 2012, I can not get working now. They cannot be "seen" by any controllers.

Working with just one servo to try and isolate the problem, I have it hooked up to a usb2Dynamixel and my laptop running the Dynamixel Wizard software. I have a 12V power supply hooked into the three pin Dynamiel connector to the servo and the common on the usb2Dynamixel.

With this setup, when I plug in the 12V power supply, the AX12+ led blinks once. When I use the Wizard to do a search for the servo it can not be found. When I try to do a firmware recover (after disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V power supply) once again the servo cannot be found.

I am stuck. Any thoughts of what I can do next? or where I can get more help?

Re: AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

As you are using all Robotis hardware, you might try asking up on their forums.

Although my impression is that they may be slow on responding these days.

Also not sure from your description, which version of the Dynamixel software you are running and if it is configured properly.
    Example have you setup to use the right comm port? Are you searching on the correct baud rate that your servos are configured for?
    AX12 are 1mbs, many of the others are 57600 by default.

Again depending on which software you are running, it may not handle or be configured for Protocol 1 servos like AX-12, but instead be configured for some of their newer servos (protocol 2).

Re: AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

Do you have a logic analyzer or oscilloscope?
    Can you verify the data being sent by the USB2Dynamixel?

4. Re: AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

Unfortunately I have neither. Just a multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Do you have a logic analyzer or oscilloscope?
    Can you verify the data being sent by the USB2Dynamixel?

5. Re: AX12+ servos not recognized/seen

I am using Dynamixel Wizard Version / 1.0.11.0. Not sure if that is bad combination with the oldish AX12+. The usb port to the USB2Dynamixel is working and the search option in the Wizard lets you search all baud rates.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    As you are using all Robotis hardware, you might try asking up on their forums.

Although my impression is that they may be slow on responding these days.

Also not sure from your description, which version of the Dynamixel software you are running and if it is configured properly.
    Example have you setup to use the right comm port? Are you searching on the correct baud rate that your servos are configured for?
    AX12 are 1mbs, many of the others are 57600 by default.

Again depending on which software you are running, it may not handle or be configured for Protocol 1 servos like AX-12, but instead be configured for some of their newer servos (protocol 2).

Thread Information