Thread: Connecting Dynamixel Motor to PC (Windows)

1. Question Connecting Dynamixel Motor to PC (Windows)

Hey all,

Apologies if this questions has been asked in the past, struggling to set everything up properly.

I'm attempting to connect a dynamixel servo driver (XM540-W270-R) to my PC (Windows 10) via a U2D2 port.

Unfortunately, it seems the documentation for it and other resources followed does not work. When I attempt to configure the motor via the dynamixel wizard (part of the roboplus software suite) I get the following results.

https://imgur.com/a/qTHVqXf (image1)

A method to overcome this problem is if I simply click on the connect icon. If I do I get the following information. But by doing that the model and everything else displayed is incorrect.

https://imgur.com/a/qTHVqXf (imag2)

I thought that wont be a problem lets start using the motor and I'll figure out how to configure it later (eager to get started). So I set up a virtual environment (python) install the dynamixel SDK and download a neat little repo that allows users to adjust the motor position, nothing too complicated but when I run the code and enter the infor needed I get the following error.

Code:
    [TxRxResult] There is no status packet!
    I get the same error when running the read-write python file in the SDK itself. And I've tested everything with 2 separate motors.

Seems I'm missing something, followed the documentation to the teeth and still unable to get it running properly.
    Would appreciate help understanding what the problem may be, thanks a bunch in advance.

Images

Re: Connecting Dynamixel Motor to PC (Windows)

Which versions of Dynamixel Wizard and the DXL SDK are you using? The X-series servos all use DXL2.0 protocol, which is different from DXL1.0 protocol.

RoboPlus was broken into separate downloads quite a while ago (styled as "R+" Motion/Task/etc now), and I'm not sure the DXL2.0 protocol is supported by the older versions that were bundled with RoboPlus. Newer version of Dynamixel Wizard (http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/s...mixel_wizard2/) supports newest servos in X-series which I don't think existed to allow support within the RoboPlus bundle.

Same goes for the DXL SDK: older versions did not support DXL2.0; newest versions require declaration of protocol version in major library calls (http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/s...on-protocol-20).
    Last edited by tician; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:19 PM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Also: How are you powering the servo? The U2D2 can't power it itself, and an insufficient or flaky separate power source might cause problems.

Does "recover servo firmware" in the Dynamixel Wizard properly detect and recover the servo?

4. Re: Connecting Dynamixel Motor to PC (Windows)

Hey all really sorry for the late reply.

I installed Dynamixel Wizard 2.0 and that seemed to fix the problem, the drivers now detect the Dynamixel properly! I wish the setup documentation was more clear about it.

However, in the same vain I'm following along the documentation and am trying to interface with the Servo driver using the U2D2 and python, I made sure that the outlet powering the servo was sufficient as I don't want it to flake midway through running any script. But when I try running the Python sample code (http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/s...te-protocol-20) in the DynamixelSDK I get the following error (also made sure to use the protocol 2.0 script, and run the script as administrator).

could not open port 'COM5': PermissionError(13, 'Access is denied.', None, 5)
    I've tried using following other sample code I've found on GitHub but they all produce the same error, and it always occurs when I try to open the port

I'm a little afraid of meddling around with the dynamixel wizard, as I've heard that some things may cause irreversible damage, could the error be due to pre-configured setting within the driver itself or something else ?

EDIT 1: finally got it connected, oversight seems that I cannot run the script and open the port while the port is already open by dymaixal wizard. Thanks all, appreciate the help!
    Last edited by GhettoBurger996; 1 Week Ago at 11:19 PM.

Images

yep. Only one program can access a given port at any one time.

The Windows serial port (COM) interface is particularly annoying in that it operates on the absolute assumption that a port cannot disappear under any circumstances. This has been absolutely false since the first USB ports appeared on a PC. Which leads to a very annoying issue where a serial port is opened in a program via the windows serial interface, then the device is disconnected/reconnected or otherwise caused to re-enumerate on the bus (power glitch). When the USB serial port re-enumerates without the COM port interface releasing the serial port, windows decides to crap out and gives the port a new COM number and the program is never made aware that the original COM port is no longer available.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information