Thread: Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

1. Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

Hi, I need convertible cables longer than the 180mm one sold by Robotis. is it easy to remove the connectors from Robotis current cables for the X-series and older cables with MOLEX connectors? Any recommended tools?

Re: Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

If you need custom cables, you'll want to buy the crimping kits for the connector series from the manufacturer, and your own wire to crimp the cables onto.
    The main challenge there is generally the actual crimp tool, where the manufacturer sometimes charges thousands of dollars for what's essentially a pair of pliers with a die on them. There are often third-party options that are much more reasonable.

What I do when I just need one or two extra-long cables, is to get two cables, cut each next to the unwanted connector, and then splice them with some solder and shrinkwrap. E g, two cables that are 180 mm of "A -- B" would turn into "A --" and "-- B" and then be spliced into a 340mm cable "A -- -- B". (There's always some length loss.)

3. Re: Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If you need custom cables, you'll want to buy the crimping kits for the connector series from the manufacturer, and your own wire to crimp the cables onto.
    The main challenge there is generally the actual crimp tool, where the manufacturer sometimes charges thousands of dollars for what's essentially a pair of pliers with a die on them. There are often third-party options that are much more reasonable.

What I do when I just need one or two extra-long cables, is to get two cables, cut each next to the unwanted connector, and then splice them with some solder and shrinkwrap. E g, two cables that are 180 mm of "A -- B" would turn into "A --" and "-- B" and then be spliced into a 340mm cable "A -- -- B". (There's always some length loss.)
    Thanks. I made custom cables many years ago. I know that I am not very good at it.

Is it a bad idea to change the connectors soldered in the hub or controller board instead?

What is the name of those net-like sleeve that can be used to cover those thinner robotis cables?
    Last edited by Snoopy; 06-03-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Net-like sleeves are called "cable sleeving" or "cable sheathing."
    https://www.mcmaster.com/cable-sheathing/
    https://amzn.to/30f5w8y

5. Re: Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

Thank you

6. Re: Is it easy to change the adapter of those Robotis cables?

Hi jwatte, McMaster sells so many different types of cable sheathings. Which one do you recommend?

Bob's Used Cars sell so many kinds of used cars and trucks, which one would you recommend?

I recommend that you buy the one that seems to work for your application.

If you have a hard time making up your mind, pick three or four and buy a small amount of each, to get your hands on them and check out which one will work best for you.

Thread Information