Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Sumo

Images

Mini Sumo

Hello evryone!

So I wanted to open this thread for mini sumos. I want to build my own soon and I'm looking at a lot of motors, motor controllers, microntroller.

I wanted to have some info on the maxon motors a lot of people seem to be using. What are the RPMs With a load? 16500 without load seems still pretty fast. I also wanted to know how much current the motors use under stall?

I have my own ideas for the other things. I will talk about it latter on

Sam

2. Re: Mini Sumo

Sam,

The Maxon motors I am using have a 17:1 gearbox on them, so their rated RPM is 970. In reality on a mini-sumo they aren't going to spin that fast, probably more like 600-700 RPM due to the load.

Note that even at 600 RPM, with 1" diameter tires (like I'm using), you're looking at 31 inches per second at full speed. A mini-sumo ring is 27" in diameter, so you're going to need to be very precise and very fast about responses. At 31" per second, in 1/10 second you're going to cover 3".

The stall current is rated at just over 1.2 amps. I'm using a couple of this motor controller, although I might have used this one if it would have existed when I designed Seeker 2x.

Attachment 578
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Re: Mini Sumo

Ok, I thought that 16500 was WITH the gearbox, I was getting worried .

I was looking at this motor controller.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/411/faqs

It's small so I could connect it to the main board and it wouldn't take up too much space. The only downside is that it's rated 1 Amp max each motor. But I could put two controller boards to control two maxon motors.

4. Re: Mini Sumo

The PWM frequency for that controller isn't great - 600-750 Hz.

The one I am using is basically the same price, but handles 5 amps (2.5 amps continuous), can do 10 kHz PWM, and has an analog line that gives feedback on motor current consumption.

I guess it really depends on what you're using as a micro-controller. If you're using something like a Basic Stamp, which doesn't do motor PWM, then the serial model would be better.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Waht does the PWM frenquency does in a normal motor controller? It gives you better control over your motors?

The Basic Stamp can do PWM. Is that different than motor PWM?

Thanks for the information

6. Re: Mini Sumo

The Basic Stamp can do a very limited form of PWM. Basically, while its doing PWM on one pin, it can't do anything else. On a real micro-controller, you can set up the hardware PWM to do it, so it happens completely in the background, without consuming any CPU.

Images

Humm, Well I have a Atmega 168 lying around, maybe I could use it for the mini-sumo. Would it be better with PWM?

The only trouble is that I don't with what language I can program it and how to connect it to my computer... Serial port?

8. Re: Mini Sumo

I use ATmega168's all the time. In fact, I'm putting one in my handheld remote kill switch. The 168 can do PWM in hardware no problem, and it has a lot of other nice features that make it ideal for small robots.

You can program it in C or Basic. I use gcc to program my ATmegas. You can definitely connect it to your computer using serial. I use a USB-TTL converter to allow me to get the AVR's serial port output on a serial console like HyperTerminal.

I use this programmer for all my AVRs. Simple, USB, and it works great.

In answer to your other question: A wider range gives you finer granularity of speed control.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

10. Re: Mini Sumo

Where might one purchase the Atmel 168 Programmable Integrated Circuit unit, What are the dimensional requirements for a regulation Miniature Sumo Automaton and what is the ideal conveyance units (electrical, electronic and Direct electrical Current motor). I have taken considerations in constructing a Miniature Sumo automaton chasis, but I have not considered the layers of conveyance to utilize in my construct, hence the questions I have posted to this, the Trossen Robotics Community thread. I am in need of assistance, as my queries may imply.
    "Are going to eat that?"

Thread Information