Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diecimila Qs

Images

Re: Diecimila Qs

The program memory is clearly a concern. Watching the total and proportional usage go up as I add more code (which is nicely displayed by the IDE compiler) I believe that I can do what I need in the available space. It's a rough guess, but I did a lot of 6502 assembly so I kind of have a feeling for how program size should grow with complexity.

Re: BEC. I have to say the servos seemed a little sluggish running off USB power. I might prefer to have a more "ampy" source on the line.

Probably also want another good volt there too. The difference in speed and torque between 5v and 6v is pretty substantial (~20&#37.

There's always the option of moving data off onto external memory - pretty simple to add some additional memory. And if you run short, there's dozens of ATMEGA options with more memory... The downside to using Wiring instead of C/C++ is that you limit your future expansion to other chips in the line. Wiring is easy to learn, but it's just too limiting to me. If I need to move from the little 168 up to a 640 or 2500 series, it's just a recompile (or sometimes not even that) and reflash when I'm in C/C++.
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 09-12-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    I Void Warranties�

3. Re: Diecimila Qs

hi
    i have read through a couple of website regarding TTL half duplex uart connection.which is the most reliable method? as i'm comfused with the one using ic or pnp transistor or connect jumper and just alter the uart.
    i research for this info for months thus

pls advise......

Hi, Welcome to the forum!

For what purpose?
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: Diecimila Qs

i wan to control ax-12 servo.i know it's heavily documented in some forums , threads and the manual but i just not so sure .i'm not asking for direct solution for it.i just need some guidance..please advise.thanks

Images

I assume that you mean to use an Arduino here. I have never used these servos but according to this pdf it needs to communicate at 1Mb and the author does not recommend that the baud rate be changed due to the servo becoming unresponsive. The Arduino can't handle those baud rates.

Jon has documented the process on other sites. I was going to link them here, but since he was asking over there too, there wasn't really any compelling reason.
    I Void Warranties�

8. Re: Diecimila Qs

hi jes,
    thanks for your reply. so u mean that arduino will not be a compatible MCU for ax-12?i thought it is using the same atmega168 as the cm5?please advise as i also searching from other sites too..thanks in advance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gr33nhorn View Post
    hi jes,
    thanks for your reply. so u mean that arduino will not be a compatible MCU for ax-12?i thought it is using the same atmega168 as the cm5?please advise as i also searching from other sites too..thanks in advance.
    The mega168 is capable of doing 1MBps, but it is likely that the Arduino software will not be able to compute the correct register values for that speed (1MBps at 16MHz requires the double speed bit to be set, which I do not believe the Arduino library takes into account). This isn't a big problem, it just means you have to write your own serial driver, or easier, overwrite the values of the specific registers after calling serial.begin() with some dummy speed, like 19200.

Dive into the Mega168 data sheet, it is your friend...

-Fergs

I got my Diecimilla board yesterday, and I have it hooked up and functional. I am working my way through the examples. I have a question: What is the correct wire gauge to insert into the input/output sockets? I miked the male pins on the ICSP plug and they are square .025 across the flats and .035 across the corners. I have used some #24 copper wire (.020") and it seems a bit loose.

Thread Information