Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My ANIMATRONIC PROJECT

3rd Place My ANIMATRONIC PROJECT

Well , Some of you may have seen this, My animatronic Project took me over 2 years to make. Im programming the 16 servo movements into the PC and press the play to play the movements a lipsync routine.
    The problems was mainly the cost . I wish I would have spend more money on my servos .There was times that I look at cost than torque. Which cost me more money in the long run ..

When uncovered ,Here is 32 feet of servo cable.
    The only thing connecting to the PC and the Animatronic is a modular cable (Looks
    like a phone cable).
    Which is plug into a modular adapter that plug into the PC's serial port .
    The end of the modular cable plug in Mini SSCII Serial Servo Controller.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W29pAUyKVZ0"]YouTube - My Animatronic skin movement test[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVzWnzo6TJ4&feature=related"]YouTube - Lipwire Test computer controlled[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ejD-iGAIY"]YouTube - WILLETTFX THE ANIMATRONIC PROJECT with servo sound 02/07[/ame]

My new animatronic eye process
    MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 1
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCG9G0HRgJk"]YouTube - MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 1[/ame]

MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 2
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Al9_hLl8M"]YouTube - EYEBALL PROCESS Part 2[/ame]

MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 3
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiynvPJPHbc"]YouTube - MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 3[/ame]

MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 4
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmk9PnFIWuY"]YouTube - MY EYEBALL PROCESS PART 4[/ame][/color][/size][/media]

Thank You
    willettfx

Thank You Guys
    Gary Willett
    Last edited by willettfx; 09-16-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: contest entry

Images

Re: My ANIMATRONIC PROJECT

Hi Gary!

This is awesome. I'm so glad you found the community. I have seen your project before I believe. There are a lot of CG animator types in here that will appreciate your project too.

Images

I just wanted to hilight something. Gary mentions that he uses software from Brookshire Software in his video. I just took a look and this is some pretty cool stuff that others in robotics and animation may find useful.

From their site:
    Visual Show Automation (VSA) is the best visual solution for choreographing complex lighting, animatronic, and audio shows. VSA breaks away from traditional solutions and realizes that complex animatronics, robotics, and lighting systems demand a sophisticated solution.

VSA offers a simple, visual approach. All pertinent information is displayed visually and easily adjustable. No programming experience is needed. With VSA it is easy to see and adjust what is going on at each point in the program: What motors are moving? Where will they stop moving? What relays are active?

VSA visually incorporates multiple audio files. Great for animatronics and DJ lighting, multiple wave and MP3 files can accompany each routine, each rendered on a different sound card. A selectable audio channel is graphically displayed, significantly easing the task of lip sync and other sound dependent actions.

Thanks again Gary, great info!

Smile Re: My ANIMATRONIC PROJECT

Thanks Matt,
    Dose My animatronic project have the qualifications for this contest.

Hello , My worklog ,When done this mod will talk back.

Eyes

Molding face in silicone

Lower jaw lipwires

servos for 2nd floor, 7 servos =
    3 upper lip, right brow,left brow ,center brow , nose

This 1st foor 6 servos = 2 servos eyelids ,2 up down left right,1 jaw,head up down

Look like a brain

Thanks
    Gary
    My new animatronic project is coming soon .....And slow LOL.

This is incredible work. I have alway wanted to get into sculpting and animatronics. But the farthest I got is to become a 3d artist... I will say though this is seriously inspiring.

Cool Re: My ANIMATRONIC PROJECT

Quote Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
    This is incredible work. I have alway wanted to get into sculpting and animatronics. But the farthest I got is to become a 3d artist... I will say though this is seriously inspiring.
    Vsions, Thank You so much,But You as a 3d artist Just amazing!!! All weekend downloading 2D/3D software and trying to learn it .I Envy you Vsions.
    In this art ,animatronic and robotic ,we make our parts and learning 2D/3D software is a +.
    I was working on a part weekend and using 2D/3D software would so useful.I could get some parts Mill out .
    Few months ago ,For eyeballs ,Tried to save the money and ordered acrylic ball and the drilled the holes . Well ,The holes looked center... I ordered the brass ball ,I know the center holes is right,Its CNC milled.
    The part weekend ....And Yes microsoft paint ....LOL

metal keystock , I mill this out on my dental lathe

drill hole at the end of the stock. With a cutting wheel cut the end of the keystock to make the Fork.

the brass inside shaft ,Is a EZ servo connector.

The Shaft makes Metal Clevis link, Drilling a hole in the shaft will make a swivel clevis link. Putting the eyeball shaft in the clevis shaft.

move left and right .Up and down in a swivel clevis link.

This is a test eye ,I know its bad LOL
    You have knowledge that I want, so I could use software like zBrush and 3D printers.
    Old school sucks sometime...Once again I Envy you Vsions.
    Thanks
    Gary

that is simply amazing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by willettfx View Post
    Thanks Matt,
    Dose My animatronic project have the qualifications for this contest.
    Absolutely! We love this kind of stuff. We haven't announced the next contest yet, but anyone who posts ahead of time is automatically entered in the next one!

Images

Dude... creepy, and amazing at the same time. It reminds me of the importance of putting a face on my robots...but you take it to...wow.

DB

Yeah, insanely cool. I wish I had that kinda talent and patience.

Where'd you learn that kind of detail animatronics construction technique, if I may inquire?

Thread rated, +rep for sharing a process I hadn't even thought about let alone would have likely found.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information