Thread: Pololu Custom Lasercutting Service Rocks!

Images

Pololu Custom Lasercutting Service Rocks!

This is a repost from our Blog, but I wanted to share with you guys since I think this service is a 'must have' tool in any roboticist's tool belt.

Creating custom parts for your bot can be a daunting task. That is, if you donít know about Pololuís Custom Laser Cutting Service. I recently needed some custom parts created for the upper torso of one of my bots for Mech Wars, and after look around a bit I decided to try out their service.

I have to give my highest recommendation to this service provided by the great folks at Pololu. I personally canít afford a CNC or Laser Cutting machine, but now I donít need to. I sent in a 2D CAD file of my design (they can also create one for you from a drawing), selected what type of plastic I wanted it cut from, and they got back to me promptly with a price quote which made my jaw drop. Extremely affordable, prompt and courteous service, and the results were fantastic. Again, I canít recommend their service more, it should literally be considered another tool in your toolbox. If needing a custom part for your project ever held you back, look no further.

Here are some pictures of the parts I ordered (Click to Enlarge):

Hereís the assembled upper torso with Airsoft guns mounted.

And hereís the frame of the Mech, Hagetaka, put together (for the most part, needs a lot of work and a paintjob):

Re: Pololu Custom Lasercutting Service Rocks!

That bot looks cool. I purchased the same guns but I still haven't took to the time to mount them to anything or fire them.

Images

Since we are plugging laser cutting....

I get my stuff laser cut at BC Laserworks. Sometimes he gets a little busy and the turnaround suffers a week or so, but he has outstanding prices and service.

Images

Thanks for the pics Tyberius, Awesome. Looks like a really professional job.I have to make my own parts here in NZ, The freight would kill it for me from the U.S
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

I was just looking at this yesterday. Looks good, although lasercutting won't do what I need done.

Do you know of any good 6-Axis CNC milling services?
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

Images

[originally posted by Enusi Malik]:

Very helpful link, it is a very good service and the pricing is very reasonable, I would have never have that Pololu would offer such services. Beats the price for buying the equipment.

ÔŅĹIn the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailedÔŅĹ
    - Charles Darwin

Images

How much do they charge? The parts looks really nice!

edit: Never mind, I found their pricing and it looks very reasonable.
    Last edited by jes1510; 10-06-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information