Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track/Tread platform

Track/Tread platform

Does anyone know of any a good track/tread based platform for a hobbyist? Something besides the Robotics Connection Traxster, LynxMotion J5 base, Surveyor SRV-1, VEX tread kit or Parallax Boe-Bot track kit. It seems like there is a gap for tracked platforms, they go from like $200 range to the $1,500 range with no mid range packages.

I want something that is a little larger than most of the above mentioned kits but durable and capable of carrying a little payload for outdoor roving. I guess if worse to comes to worse I can design a base and have a prototype made out of aluminum and use LM's treads but I really wanted something more of a tank base with some kind of suspension.

Bryan

Images

Re: Track/Tread platform

Hey Bryan,

Build one.. Check out the folks at RC tank combat. They build 1/6 scale tanks. Mine is about 3 ft. long. (The little bit I have built is 3 ft. long anyway.) Here's a link.

http://www.rctankcombat.com/

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Thanks for that link, Gary! +Rep

Bryan - totally agreed, re: gap. I'm leaning towards LM's tracks right now...
    I Void Warranties�

Thanks Gary, I've seen this link before these guys have ingenious ways of putting together tracks. I was looking at these a while ago when I was debating on ways to create my own treads.

http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/

I still like the LM treads better.

This site is also pretty good; they have a large selection of treads for toys and a lot of the rubber treads can be made to size:

http://www.classictintoy.com/mm5/mer...tegory_Code=RT

Images

The smaller treads are great. I can guarantee that making them is not a nice task. Mine are 2 rows of #40 chain with3" X .75" aluminum plates between. The sprockets were the toughest, I about killed my mill and ended up just grinding every other tooth out with an angle grinder after anealing them with a torch. Don't know if they will work, as I stopped on the tank to work on the Mech.

The tank is a Russian T34-85 1/6 scale and will have a Tippman paintball gun.

Seems since I quit the combat robot scene, I still have that need for a fight..Bwaaahaaha

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Homebot Robotics has a really awesome set of modular tracks (called RoboTrax XL) that you could build your own platform around:

http://www.homebot-robotics.com/

fyi to everyone, I found this in our Links directory that everyone can add links to:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/li...owdetails&l=81

hint hint

EDIT: I didn't catch in your first post that you are looking for something larger, but there's nothing stopping you from doubling up these tracks on each side of the platform. Depending on your load of course, they should do a great job
    Last edited by Alex; 10-09-2008 at 01:46 PM.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

Reely has a nice all-metal tank chassis, though it isn't cheap and might be too small for your liking.
    However, you can get the parts separately so I presume you can make longer treads and increase the amount of rollers.

If all else fails, you could check ebay or something for an old/defective bobcat.

Now there's a tracked base for you
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Homebot Robotics has a really awesome set of modular tracks (called RoboTrax XL) that you could build your own platform around:

http://www.homebot-robotics.com/
    I think they're getting a pretty penny for really wimpy. I looked at 'em last time around and was really disappointed at their capacity. Alas, the LM system seems to spank it in every conceivable way, imho.
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I think they're getting a pretty penny for really wimpy. I looked at 'em last time around and was really disappointed at their capacity. Alas, the LM system seems to spank it in every conceivable way, imho.
    Agreed, I believe that you get more bang for the buck and flexability using the LM treads.

Thread Information