Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help about SSC-32?

1. Need help about SSC-32?

helooooooooooo Guys

this is my frist post here ..i have final year project which is about hexapod robot ..i want to use SSC-32 board ... i want to know can i wirte the sequnces in the program then send it to the board via cable then i want to save it in the ATMEL ATMEGA168 ....after that i dont want any cable connecting the board with pc ? can i do that ?

coz i didnt use SSC-32 before and now i want to order it for my project .

one more things about SSC-32 , does it come with all its accessories?

also what are these accessories should i include it in the order ?

plz if any one know just plug his post here

Images

Re: Need help about SSC-32?

Ok...I believe with the new SSC-32 you can do what you want to do. Check out the lynxmotion website's explanation...that may help. As for accessories? It comes with a screw driver and an adaptor for connecting a 9 volt battery. Outside of that your pretty much on your own.

Oh...and welcome to the forum.

DB

Hi Ahmed, welcome to the TRC.

There's almost no available memory on the SSC-32 (or any commonly available servo controller). You would need another microcontroller to plug it into on your robot (or run the robot over wireless like Zigbee/Xbee from the PC). The Axon or the Bot Board with a BASIC stamp would be a good place to start depending on which programming languages you're comfortable writing in. If you're comfortable in C, I'd go with the Axon - a lot more power and memory.
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    Ok...I believe with the new SSC-32 you can do what you want to do. Check out the lynxmotion website's explanation...that may help. As for accessories? It comes with a screw driver and an adaptor for connecting a 9 volt battery. Outside of that your pretty much on your own.

Oh...and welcome to the forum.

DB
    "[...] alternating tripod gait simply by transferring a few values from the host controller" [from your link]

Nope! He's asking to not have a host controller...
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: Need help about SSC-32?

thanks all of u ... but i want to know can i interfacing the board with inputs like sensors?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    "[...] alternating tripod gait simply by transferring a few values from the host controller" [from your link]

Nope! He's asking to not have a host controller...

I stand corrected. I had thought that was the advantage of the new SSC-32...my bad.

DB

The SSC32 has *very* limited analog input - almost not worth talking about. 4 analog inputs, but they're only 8 bit resolution.

Your sensors would go into the supplemental microcontroller like the two I listed, realistically.

DB - no worries. Hypothetically it's possible, but it would involve writing new firmware for the SSC32 and the storage would be really limited. You could probably tap off the SPI and add an SD card for storage, but at that point, we're just building a new SSC32 and it's really beyond the scope of the question, I think - or at least the answer I'm willing to provide.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

According to the Nov/Dec Robot magazine, the SSC-32 V2 has a "slick built-in 12-servo hexapod sequencer," or that can be replaced in the firmware by two "general purpose sequencer engines" which can "store 32 kilobytes of project sequences" in EEPROM.

Yeah, I see the hex sequencer, and the alternate boot for it. The question is how you go about sending commands to it with no controller? Sure, you can painstakingly cram some data into the EEPROM, but if you can't issue a commands to it, what good does it do?

And I do stand corrected in that bit of it - there is some onboard EEPROM - that I should have remembered from 'scoping it for DB's old unit...

I suppose you could tell it to just do an alternating gait until it gets run over by a car or walk in circles until the batteries die, but the application seems kinda small. There's no programming it to respond to anything or do anything else without a firmware rewrite, or tossing a couple dollars in microcontroller at it... [and if they could at least be troubled to put page numbers in the manual, it'd make it easier to reference pages when responding to threads like this. ]
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 10-16-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Again, just quoting from the Plug & Play product promo section of the mag: it has "the capability to read four analog or digital inputs." FWIW. Reading magazines cover to cover gives me information I can index, but not necessarily knowledge.

Thread Information