Thread: Where do I start?

1. Where do I start?

Well, I see the general of the forum, but everything seems very complicated as I have 0 experience in any of these skills.

Can someone point me out to some beginners guides etc to Robotics/ C Programming?

I think to start I'll make a robotic arm, I heard that's how many people start.

Sorry for your inconvenience and thank you for your time.
    "One who leads must be ready to be dealt what he deals."

Re: Where do I start?

Have you ever programmed before? Even like BASIC.

Have you ever built RC cars before?

This will help us help you
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

3. Re: Where do I start?

Unfortunately I haven't. Best is Airsoft Guns, I know most of how the Gear box works. C programming and basic, not enough to really do anything...

Lego Mindstorms NXT is a great kit.

I have had one kit for over a year now, and I just got my second kit a week ago!

While it may seem like a "kids toy" it's not! I have a humanoid robot but it is still fun to use the lego stuff. They have a few cool things in the instructions, but after you build one you can start on your own project.

After you learn the basic flow of programming and feel confident in what you know, you can get a book like Maximum Lego NXT and learn how to program in Java (I'd recommend in about a years time).

I would not go for learning C until much later. I can read a fair amount of C and can write a little, but it is not needed for most robotics. I'm not saying don't learn it though.

To see stuff that can be done with Lego Mindstorms NXT you can check out this blog:

http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com

Let me know what you think of this (I will also understand if you don't like the idea either)!
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

Not needed for most Lego-based robotics. Some kind of serious language is, however, if you're wanting to leave Lego Land...

C is no tougher to learn than Java - the syntax is actually not that far off. I switched from Assembler to C in two days - of course, my C looked more like Assembler than Assembler needs to, but that's another topic.

Seriously, there's no need to scare people away from C. I teach C programming to first-graders...
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

There is also Robot C, so you can learn with NXT's standard IDE and go to a "real language" once you reach the limits of what you can do with drag & drop.

7. Re: Where do I start?

I think I should have stated I have looked at C a little, like some beginner's things. C has to be easier than learning complete new languages, so I think I can take it

Thread Information