Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Images

Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Well...good luck then, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. You are making a really cool project, and I guess we all just want to see it work out for you.

DB

Images

PWM is pulse with modulation. It is how servos know what position to go to. The pulses range from about 500 - 2500 though most hobby servos operate safely between 750 and 2250

it has to do with sending pulses down the signal wire so many pulses a second = such and such a position. with the ssc-32 you send a message out of a computers serial port which is then translated into pulses sent down the signal wire to the servo. The servo then attains the position, and hopefully your flyithingie goes in the direction you want.

DB

3. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

ok thanks, yeah im not trying to come across as defensive in anyway however i realize its hard to back up a project that you have put alot of time into for over the last few months and not be. Ive contacted a UAV professor here at VCU for some extra boost. I believe someone here pointed out the article about VCU and UAVs and i greatly thank you for that. Hopefully he will respond back. Going to have a meeting with the group here shortly to discuss the servo approach.

Images

For some reason beyond me, I applaud the fact you're not using a model but building full-scale from the get-go.

It probably has to do with a love for giant killer robots and dangerous machinery, but other than that, no idea..

Seriously though, I can understand where you're coming from perfectly, but please take all necessary precautions to make sure no one gets injured too badly.

Best of luck to you guys, and let us know when she flies!
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

5. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Its funny how one aspect of this project has taken me on a loop. I now find myself sitting and watching videos on robotics, there controls and how the owner has had there influence placed on each aspect of the design. Like i said before i have no experience in automation, however i remember clearly in high school as a junior and senior i headed up the TSA club. At the time the only competion that i took advantage of was the "RC challenge". We placed 3rd the first year at states, then 10th at nationals. In my senior year we took 2nd at states and i never did attend the national competition. For some reason i had never looked back until now, and it is intresting to see how the programming and automation has changed the entire realim so much in just 5 years. Things are more affordable now and the capablities seem endless as to what some of you guys can do with a robot. I'm guessing these are derivations of jobs you all have or are the pure hobby?

6. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Well i havent posted in 5 days so i figured I would to keep the communication flowing. No updates since we did not work on anything this weekend and the meeting was cancelled. However and intresting homework assignment popped up on PWN controllers for mechatronics. I do understand the basics now, if i got it right at least.

7. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

I must say that i am sorry for the delay in posts, we have had only one more work day and it was not productive. We are still semi on schedule, landing gear and motor mounts are up next. The motors arrived 3 weeks ago from kohler.

here are some renderings floating around for the skin and frame work. personally i think they need alittle revising in the cockpit, doesnt look too confortable, however the basics are there.

Last edited by teamawesome; 12-04-2008 at 12:48 PM.

8. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Are those the engines mounted fore and aft of the seat? You'll want the belts as short as possible. and cooling may be of an issue if the powerplants aren't in the airstream. I would consider widening the gear stance and making them taller. FOD is a real problem with the props low. Plus take into account uneven terrrain, bushes and sticks. You'll b e blasting alot of debris on lift off and the props will hate ingesting anything.
    Looks way cool......

Rokon

Images

I would be really concerned about stability in the pitch axis. It looks like it will really want to tip.

10. Re: The flying VCU senior project, we need your expertise

Quote Originally Posted by jes1510 View Post
    I would be really concerned about stability in the pitch axis. It looks like it will really want to tip.
    understandably yes, you are correct. We have got alittle bit of a trick up our sleeve on that i hope.

The engines compared to pilot mounting positions are still in much question be the basic idea is there. Obviously there is NO way the pilot would be able to be seated in that position, these are purely illustrational. The real deal will be quite different, at least i would do it differently

Thread Information