Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Re: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Sure, you can find serial to bluetooth slaves all over. BlueSmirf. I don't think that's what either of them were looking for, right? They wanted mastering HIDs?

I think Bullit is using the Gumstix - a "real" computer. It's easy to accomplish when you have a SAM7, SAM9, OMAP, etc.
    I Void Warranties�

True, the PS3 has been mentioned several times as well as the HID difficulties for embedded devices. Without going into making an HID interface, it might be easier to make your own joystick device that is operationally similar but only sends serial data. With something like that, the sparkfun devices might be useful.

3. Re: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by robologist View Post
    Checked Sparkfun? Several modules there, think most output TTL serial. About $50-$80 for 0.1 headers.
    Yes, I even wrote to SparkFun tech support, but they were not helpful. Their answer boiled down to "beats us, maybe you should ask on our forums."

4. Re: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I think Bullit is using the Gumstix - a "real" computer. It's easy to accomplish when you have a SAM7, SAM9, OMAP, etc.
    Bullit — is that the case? I know that the Farrells are using Gumstix too. Now I wish I'd paid more attention at RoboGames; it could be that some of the other builders that I thought were using PS3, were actually using PS2 controllers (which does appear to be a lot easier, though you lose the sixaxis inputs).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrout View Post
    Bullit — is that the case? I know that the Farrells are using Gumstix too. Now I wish I'd paid more attention at RoboGames; it could be that some of the other builders that I thought were using PS3, were actually using PS2 controllers (which does appear to be a lot easier, though you lose the sixaxis inputs).
    Bullit == farells....

-Fergs

/Bites Tongue and let's "Bullit" take it.

[Edit: Never Mind. Fergy Spilled it.]
    I Void Warranties�

Images

The PS2 controllers aren't bluetooth though, they're just vanilla 2.4ghz. That said, I was running around with my Phoenix using a 2.4ghz wireless PS2 controller and didn't run into an ounce of interference... which is really weird.

I'm using the same setup as Bullit (Farrell Robotics), and the connection between my robot and PS3 controller was rock solid. The only issue I ran into was when the robot was connected to my laptop via usb bluetooth dongle. I'm using one of the weaker series bluetooth modules, and somehow when I sent it a 'home position' command from the console, it went half way there and then all the servos went torque off (which luckily saved me, since no gears broke). I was also getting a lot of latency/lag on my console, or having the console connection drop out... all the while having zero issues when the PS3 controller was connected to my robot directly.

So all and all, the PS3 connection was amazingly rock solid. Never had an ounce of interference with that. It was the weak bluetooth dongle that had issues. That, and my wifi video was very laggy at times.

8. Re: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    Bullit == farells....
    Well then, don't I feel silly.

9. Re: best wireless system for humanoid competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    I'm using the same setup as Bullit (Farrell Robotics), and the connection between my robot and PS3 controller was rock solid.
    And to be clear, the setup you're talking about is a Gumstix, running Linux, and using something like this procedure to communicate with the PS3 controller. Is that right?

I guess I could go that route, but I was hoping for something smaller and cheaper that I could use as a dumb driver for a variety of projects (e.g. speaking to the Pololu serial motor driver, for example). Whatever the Linux stack is doing must not be magic — there's got to be a way to program a smaller MCU to do the same, especially if the only thing it needs to do is convert between BT and UART...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrout View Post
    And to be clear, the setup you're talking about is a Gumstix, running Linux, and using something like this procedure to communicate with the PS3 controller. Is that right?

I guess I could go that route, but I was hoping for something smaller and cheaper that I could use as a dumb driver for a variety of projects (e.g. speaking to the Pololu serial motor driver, for example). Whatever the Linux stack is doing must not be magic — there's got to be a way to program a smaller MCU to do the same, especially if the only thing it needs to do is convert between BT and UART...

Yes exactly. That said- its not a simple control solution, you might very well have a much easier time avoiding the Gumstix.

Thread Information