Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stepper Motor Door Lock

1. Stepper Motor Door Lock

Hi,

I'm new to the forum! All looks interesting and seeing as I'm already learning about c# and the API's that are available for robotics development I am interested in starting a little project.
    I want this project to consist of a system that will grant/deny access to a room depending on a few things I already have in place. The problem I have is with the actual locking mechanism. I would assume using a small stepper motor to move a light barrel lock (similar to these: http://www.leohardware.com/doorhardw...Bolts-1-2.html) would be enough but if anyone here knows of any other way please let me know. I'd probably just find some sort of way of maybe applying a rubber band around the motor spindle (correct name!?) to cause friction for moving the bar in the barrel bolt and somehow strap all this to the other side of the door.
    As you may have noticed this is not any kind of heavy duty solution - a swift kick would put the door in, but it's really just to get me into the whole robotics thing but with something practical.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Images

Re: Stepper Motor Door Lock

There are a number of commercial solutions available that will do exactly what you want. As a matter of fact I worked on a door access system a couple of years ago and went through this exact process.

I have an HES 5000 Electric strike sitting in front of me right now. I'm not recommending this product over any others, I'm just using it as an example of what is available. They are available here (This is just the first one I found in google. You may be able to get them cheaper elsewhere):
    http://www.taylorsecurity.com/store/...ARTMENT_ID=998

You can get the technical data here:
    http://www.hesinnovations.com/hes2/5000.cfm

This is a more expensive solution for you but it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

3. Re: Stepper Motor Door Lock

Thanks a lot Jes, I appreciate the quick response mate!

4. Re: Stepper Motor Door Lock

Bit of a newb question - but how would I access the control for this from c#? I understand that with devices such as the phidget usb ones, you simply plug it in, download the API's - and write your code. But with this electric strike system I can't seem to find anything that mentions accessing it by computer?

Images

I'm not an EE expert by any means, but it looks like all you need is a Phidget 0/0/4 Relay Controller:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Kit-0-0-4.aspx

The Phidget product line has a sweet .NET API (along with many others).

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

Yeah you need some kind of controller to switch the strike. It is essentially a dumb solenoid so you would control it the like you would any solenoid. Something that drives a relay would work fine as long as it can handle the voltage and current for the strike.

You can also get some that have a sensor switch inside the strike that will tell you the position of the strike. If you used that then you will need an input on your controller to read the switch.

7. Re: Stepper Motor Door Lock

From your use of all these terms (solenoid/relay) looks like I'm gonna have to look into this beyond just the programming. Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.
    To be honest, I think I will opt for the electric strike switch. As you said, it will present less problems. But would my original idea had been ok?

Images

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about solenoids:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

It looks like that Phidgets card that Alex posted a link to will work fine but it doesn't seem to have any inputs that you would need to read the position of the switch if you wanted to. Keep in mind that you don't have to read it at all. It would just give you some feedback to know that the strike did indeed do what you wanted it to do. Most people here love the Phidgets stuff but I have never used them. They do seem to have good API support.

9. Re: Stepper Motor Door Lock

When you say you've never used the phidgets stuff Jes, have you used alternative manufacturers but similar pieces of hardware or just altogether different types of kits? I know that's a bit off topic but trying to suss out as much as I can.
    If I were to purchase that card, the API's and an electric strike switch is that all I will need? (as long as the voltage's are both compatible etc.)
    Also, how would these electric strike switch's system usually work if it wasn't from a phidget relay? I had something similar back in school - we swiped a 'fob' onto a reader on the door and the magnet at the top opened.

Images

The system we did had a custom board that interfaced to a PC104 bus on a single board computer. It could control up to 8 doors with associated sensors, RFID readers, and keypads. The system had a web interface for control and could be monitored and configured over the web. It is mondo overkill for what you want to do plus I can't go into the design due to an NDA.

If I were to purchase that card, the API's and an electric strike switch is that all I will need? (as long as the voltage's are both compatible etc.)
    Pretty much except for the obvious stuff. You also need a computer to control the system and some type of input thing to know when you wanted access such as an RFID reader. Once again as long as you don't want to read the position of the strike or know if the door is open or closed.

Also, how would these electric strike switch's system usually work if it wasn't from a phidget relay?
    They can be controlled from just about anything that can handle the voltage and current. You could even use a simple push button that just triggers the solenoid with no intelligence whatsoever.

Thread Information