Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensor Kit

Sensor Kit

I was wondering if something like a starter kit for sensors exists. Sort of like an educational kit that includes a couple of different kinds so as to give you a starting point if your unfamiliar with how some of them work and operate.

If no such thing exists is there a good place to read up on them? As I'm still pretty new to all this I'd like to get more of a grasp on how some of them work and can be implemented into robotics.

Rift

Images

Re: Sensor Kit

People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Check out the phidget 8/8/8, you can pick it up and a couple of sensors for under $100. Phidgets features really good support, and works with a bunch of other software.

Enjoy.

DB

Just as a counter opinion: I don't like the phidgets capture board. Incredibly slow but incredibly over-priced.

Their sensors are cute for pre-packaged ease.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Ooo interesting links now my question would be how would I go about controlling these sensors? What kind of programs are they controlled by?

Also that Sensor Sampler kit what do you plug those up too?

Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Ooo interesting links now my question would be how would I go about controlling these sensors? What kind of programs are they controlled by?

Also that Sensor Sampler kit what do you plug those up too?

Rift
    Let me ask you a question

Do you have a robot?
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

Yes actually I have 3 not sure what that has to do with anything tho. All of them came with programs to control them and only 1 has a sensor I have yet to learn how to use.

Rift

Images

What I think Srobot is trying to get at if I may, is what you hope to be able to do as a result of having these sensors. I guess...if we knew more about where you were going with this, we might be able to better help you.

So...if this is just to learn about sensors, or maybe for an art project, then the phidget 888 is the only thing mentioned so far that takes sensor input and gets it into a computer.

If your planning on using these sensors with a particular robot then another route might be better.

For example, I'm using one of my robots in an upcomming experimental music show. I'm using IR sensors to input data from which music will be made using a PC based robot. The phidget 8/8/8 works perfectly for this application. I'm also using a USB camera and a program called roborealm for the same project.

Similarly, if I wanted to mount a sensor on my robonova I would not be able to use any of the above mentioned sensors.

Hope this helps clarify things...and sorry for stepping on Srobots toes.

DB

That would make sense =) I guess my original post was a little vague.

For the moment I'm just trying to learn more about sensors and the potential to interface them with future projects.

I understand the concept behind how most of them work but I have very little to no knowledge on how to interface them with robots.

The first project I hope to put together in the near future is a bot that can roam around freely but avoid bumping into things and eventually come back to a designated position in order to recharge.

Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    That would make sense =) I guess my original post was a little vague.

For the moment I'm just trying to learn more about sensors and the potential to interface them with future projects.

I understand the concept behind how most of them work but I have very little to no knowledge on how to interface them with robots.

The first project I hope to put together in the near future is a bot that can roam around freely but avoid bumping into things and eventually come back to a designated position in order to recharge.

Rift
    Cool!

I would recommend the Boe-Bot for learning about sensors/robotics.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots...6/Default.aspx

As for a "sensor starter kit" I would recommend the Sensor Sampler Kit.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensor...%2cProductName

Both of these products will work with each other and will be great to start learning more about robotics!
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

Thread Information