Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't know where to begin

1. Re: Don't know where to begin

WOW!! Adrenalynn,

I'm speechless. There aren't any words that do justice to the quality of help you have provided today.

I'm certain that without your superlative guidance, there would have been countless weeks of novice-induced pain just trying to flesh out the "how, where, when, who and how much" of robotic parts that must be purchased and coupled for optimal project operation.

Your general attitude towards roboticist "wannabes" like myself has sold me on Trossen and the Trossen Robotics community forum (as well as being sold on *YOU* as a bonafide master).

I've learned so much due to your input.
    Thank you so much,
    SamQ

Re: Don't know where to begin

[blush] Thank you! Your reply made me smile.

OT:

That's the kind of problem that excites me. The quality of my answers is directly reflected by how much I internalize a question. It's a foible of mine, to be sure...

The ideal question for me has design constraints but isn't constrained in the potential solutions. "Anyone" can google a motor controller, so I don't get too excited. When I have constraints like "____ oz-in @ ____ RPM, powered from US line voltage, operated from an R/C receiver, in the most efficient way you can invision" - well, that's something I can sink my teeth into.

I belive that inside every big problem there are thousands of little problems just screaming to get out. I enjoy letting them loose, running them down, and bopping them on their wee little heads. In fact, very little excites me more. What's *really* fun is that sometimes I discover that the little problems are composed of even littler problems - the sneaky suckers - and then you get to go through the whole "running down and bopping" process all over again. Rinse, lather, repeat until the problem is solved - at which time I entirely lose interest in it - another foible...

So you can clearly see that *I* should thank *you* for providing that which I enjoy.

Incidentally - I'd call you a "noob*", not a "wannabe". "Wannabe" holds negative connotations for me. "Wannabe's" generally don't become "are's". "Noobs" grow into roboticists if they're properly cultivated, in my experience. [*Noob is intended as a term of endearment in my parlance. Some use it differently, but I like it in its base form: "A newbie: someone inexperienced but anxious to learn"]

We've seen both on the forum here, and I think you can spot them pretty quickly. The "wannabes" self destruct in a matter of days or weeks - the noobs keep coming back and pretty soon they're contributing more than they got at the start. And they present a different perspective when the graduate from "noob" to "are", and from that, I get to learn. It's a win-win across the board.

Ok - I'm done with my sermon, I'll step off the soap-box... [blush again for preaching]
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

That being said, I consider myself an uber-noob
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

This project is probably done by now, but I'm curios; am I missing something here? it seems to me that the only requirement, according to the "benefactor" was to turn the motor on or off, not control variable speed or anything like that. So wouldn't that be as simple as talking to a relay that can handle the amperage?

Tha said, I think the information provided for controlling a behemoth is indeed invaluable, and as Sam says, that is what this forum excels at, specially with cyborgs like Adrenalynn around! BTW ( I think I have never seen her offline, which makes me wonder...tha amount of intelligent and informed posts seems a bit unrealistic for a mere human uh?
    Last edited by sunithaya; 12-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Shucks, you noticed. Now I have to terminate you. Nothing personal, I assure you [since I don't feel emotion anyway]...

It's only about 12.5 posts/day average or so, sheesh.

Part of the original challenge was controlling a 3phase motor. That gets more complicated than a relay - unless we can tap off existing power control. Those motors need complicated motor controllers.

I would like to hear what became of this project, though! I'd like to hear that Sam didn't end-up sticking his mits into that motor's chassis and get them toasted...

[edit: I'm down from 21&#37; to only 16% of the total posts on the forum. Ya'll are makin' headway against me. 12.60 posts/day average from me...]
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 12-30-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    It's only about 12.5 posts/day average or so, sheesh.
    The thing is you have 12.5 QUALITY posts per day ... where as mere mortals like myself probably don't have 12.5 quality posts to date

So, thank you and keep it up!!!

Images

Agreed ooops, One thing that I have found with Adrenalynn no matter what type of question you ask of her it is always a good and informative one, unless there are jokes involved.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Gheppetto Guest

Sir:

I can help you with any industrial or commercial multi-phased application you may have. If you are still having problems bringing this project to fruition, click on my handle hyperlink on this post, which will take you to my profile page. There you may send me a private message.

Thread Information