Thread: FSR Kit

ianham Guest

FSR Kit

HI,

I was thinking about purchasing a FSR kit to be used as a LED dimmer. Basically I am going to mount this at the bottom of my cup holder in my car with a lexan disk over top. When I put a drink in the cup holder the LEDS will light up then when I drink some the leds will dim eventualy going out. What kit would you recomend and will this even work?

Thanks...

Ian.

Also isn't shipping to Canada a little pricey?
    Last edited by ianham; 11-12-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Re: FSR Kit

Hi Ianham, welcome to the forum!

You would also need a microcontroller of some type - an Arduino would be my suggestion.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

ianham: Freight M'mmm Try living in New Zealand and getting items from the rest of the world, UPS and FedX are outrageous in their freight costs, I now talk to the companys I deal with before buying to get a better freight rate and usually we strike a deal, If not I go somewhere else. Since being on several forums I have struck some really neat friends [Personal] and they have offered to send my gear from the states to NZ at a considerable reduction in freight, as long as you have something like PayPal it's as easy as 123. At this point I must say a very big thank you to those people that have helped me with sending my products to NZ, Thank you.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

A trick to get around the freight is to have it shipped to a friend in the states who transfers it over to regular mail for you. Unfortunately, as a company, we have to stick to UPS.

A cup full of liquid is pretty light for those FSRs. You might be better off rigging up a simple switch and using a light that softly turns on and off.

A strain-gauge might better answer the design criteria, of indicating the amount remaining though... My digital scale will indicate hundredths of an ounce, and it employs a digital strain gauge (AKA Load Cell). I haven't gone looking to source them though.

Actually, an Analog Load Cell might be even better on a microcontroller. You should be able to build a simple amplifier and increase sensitivity.
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 11-13-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Wouldn't a basic R/C (Resistive/Capacitive) circuit handle the fade? A micro switch to charge the circuit and turn on the lights.

Or do you mean that a full cup gets full lights and lights out for an empty cup?

Thread Information