Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubloc

greatrobotics Guest

Cubloc

I hear CUBLOC is little better then the AXON BOARD and less then half the price
    CB405 at $49 atmega2560 ,200k memory,64 i/o lines, 4 serial ,16 a-d inputs ,12 channel 16 bit pwm and ladder logic and alot more ,free software
    http://cubloc.com/product/01_01.php

DAVID
    Last edited by greatrobotics; 01-31-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Images

Re: Cubloc

But it's programmed in Basic. Gak.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Well lets see.

The Axon is a controller specifically built for robotics. This appears to be an embedded controller intended for industrial applications.

The Axon has I/O and power headers to make sensor and servo interfacing easier as well as a USB bootloader. This product would require a breakout board or some sort for any real use, does your price take that into consideration?

The Axon also has a constantly evolving and expanding library built around robotics application. I doubt this one does.

The Axon is programmable in C, almost unarguably a much more powerful language than Basic, which is what the Cubloc uses.

So really, they're nothing alike. A more fair comparison would be the cost of the Atmega640 vs the Cubloc. Without some sort of development board, I don't see a very strong case for this Cubloc to be used in robotics without heavy custom work, let alone 'better' than the Axon. Apples to Oranges.

Please by all means make a rebuttal, unless of course this was just a shameless advert for your company =)
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 02-01-2009 at 12:12 AM.

I'm not so sure how one can call a module with a bootloader "better" than a development board. If we want to go there, wouldn't we then say that the ATMega640 with SOR's open-source software is less expensive and "better"?

To compare things a little closer, we're going to need to add-in a protoboard. Maybe the Quick Start 1k? Look at that! We just doubled the price. With female pin headers which are a pita to plug anything like a servo into. And no USB (not that I'm a big fan of USB anyway...)

Then we need to get into the whole "Proprietary BASIC vs ANSI C" discussion...

[shrug] I don't think it's advantageous to pimp a product by slamming another unless one can honestly make an "apples-to-apples" comparison and clearly come out ahead. I'm sure there are applications for the Cubloc. The touchscreen Wince machines may go over better too... Definitely applications for them around these parts.

[edit: Sorry Tyb - didn't read your edit before I posted. Your edit and my post are basically the same thing... ]
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

greatrobotics Guest

i noticed it has 3 times as much memory,bootloader not a big deal, but main item that axon doesnt have yet is ladder logic,another big item is 32 bit counters compare to 16 bits on axon board,downside is that you need protoboard for another $49 or design board ,then price drops to about $20 per board at expresspcb.com including shipping (do have to buy 3 min)your own for project you are using it for
    would be great if trossen carries it soon
    david

Images

We're usually more inclined to carry products that provide a ready to go robotics solution.

It's why we sell Axons and not bare Atmega640s.

To expand upon what Tyberius was mentioning: Can you link us into the documentation for your Ultrasonic and IR range sensor libraries? To the GPS interface? To the Servo Control interface?

Also, would you link us to the source code? It's open source, right?
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

greatrobotics Guest

you can go to cubloc forum or if you know how to program is basic can do your own code,it like everyone has its dislikes and likes about each controller
    and from what tyberious said its not a bare cpu,also it atmega2560 witch is a upgraded version of atmega640

greatrobotics Guest

segway robot and others on cubloc forum are using them i noticed

http://cubloc.com/blog/applications/...utouch-ct1721/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    We're usually more inclined to carry products that provide a ready to go robotics solution.

It's why we sell Axons and not bare Atmega640s.

Images

Sure, it has robotics applications much like any microprocessor has.

My point being is that saying it is better than a product where the only similarity is that they contain a mcu from the same manufacturer isn't a very valid argument. We primarily sell to hobby roboticists, and the Axon is a hobby roboticist board. Had you simply presented this as a cool new mcu out there that would be one thing, but you're saying its better than another product with no valid basis for your argument. Having more memory or I/O doesn't necessarily make it a better product; implementation, ease of use, and support for the intended consumer does.

Thread Information