Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Control a Ridiculous Amount of Servos?

Images

Need to Control a Ridiculous Amount of Servos?

We’ve got you covered. The Acroname 84 Channel USB Servo Controller allows you to control an almost absurd amount of servos making this the perfect board for any over-achiever’s robotics project. Now if controlling 84 servos wasn’t enough, get this: Each of the 84 channels can be set to Digital Input, Digital Output or Servo Output. Additionally, 36 of the channels can act as 10-bit Analog inputs! That makes this one of our most versatile I/O boards yet!

Re: Need to Control a Ridiculous Amount of Servos?

Yeah, the ridiculous amount of servos is secondary to THIRTY SIX simultaneous 10bit A to D, IMHO. You still get another 48 servos at the same time... Thirty six 10bit A/D for less than $130 is crazy!
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Oooh, I like this board, Damn bathroom needs fixing first B4 I look at this.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

It looks VERY cool... but....
    What about documentation, examples, bridgeware??? I often see really great products that lack any of the additional "support" required for most users. Anyone care to write a tutorial on this one?

Images

Well, all the documentation to interface to it can be found here. (which is also on the product page)

Along with info on the simple command structure, there is a sample app with source code available to control all the channels in all modes.

Images

Actually that documentation looks pretty complete and fairly easy to use, heck they even provide a drill pattern. That is really rare.

Images

Nice piece of gear, Nice documentation, But as always with nice gear, the software will elude me to get a nice piece of hardware running how I want it to. For me looking through the hex codes is like being dumped into a foreign country and saying hello to someone you have never met in a different language. Ha ha. I do like the fact that you can add different voltages to run different voltage requirements for the servos. nice.
    Last edited by 4mem8; 12-10-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

I know this isn't directly robot related but please help me out here. I am seeing LOTS of inputs and outputs. It looks like there are enough controls there for:
    - Monitoring all the wired entry and motion sensor inputs for my existing home alarm system.
    Have some extras to...
    - Monitor the wind speed detector.
    - Have an input to detect garage door position and an output to toggle the button to raise or lower it.
    - Monitor the moisture sensor in my lawn.
    - Turn on and off my sprinkler system. (With added relays?)
    - Operate the web remote controlled dog ball launcher.
    - Maybe an extra to get the temp in the dogs water bowl?

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason I couldn't do something like hook up a door/window contact switch directly to this card without any additional interface?

Thanks,

MArk B.

In theory...

Most alarm panels expect the read some resistance after passing a current through the wire - that's what makes them tamper resistant. Basically - an Analog input. So yes, that should be very possible. That said - most are either 12 or 24v, many are 24vAC. As long as you're eliminating the original panel entirely, the sensors are just switches and will work fine. Dialing would need to be done on a CPU some place. (This whole solution would require a PC of some kind, not just the board)

- Wind Speed: Most likely it's just an analog device, but it could also have some kind of PWM or digital output. You'd need to put in on a 'Scope to find out (unless you already know what it sends out)

- Yup. Controlling the garage door is doable, but will require additional hardware (relay, solid state relay, op-amp, or some other similar sort of thing) because the board won't sync that much current/voltage directly.

- Moisture Sensor: Probably just an analog device, so doable. Again - I'd put it on a 'Scope to be sure what it's trying to accomplish.

- Turn the sprinkler system on and off - probably need the same kinda thing you'd need to trip the door above - but probably differing in voltage and current draw.

- Dog Ball Launcher - what does it's I/O look like?

- Temp: Sure thing, with the right sensor choices. I'm not sure that you could get PWM easily, but certainly just straight thermister is fine.

I write all of this in theory against the board's specs. I haven't actually touched one yet.
    I Void Warranties�

I Void Warranties�

Thread Information