Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best servos for the job??

best servos for the job??

Hi everyone? im working on getting my lab together in my basement of my house(i call it my fun room) Anyway! I have been looking at lots and lots of servos and dont know what to buy? My first project is a quadropod. it will be remote controlled?? another project i have in the back of my head is a ( STICK WITH ME HEAR!) life size humanoid. What is the strongest servo out there?

Re: best servos for the job??

Hitec is releasing a industrial servo with about 1300 oz/in. It will run at 12v about 14A max load and is the size of the 805 servo the jumbo sized one. Imagine the controller board needed for 18 of these. It was in a issue of Robot magazine in March or April. HSI-100G was a model nummber. Not sure on the model number and I cant find a spec sheet for it but I have seen one on a robotics forum. Could be Lynxmotion's site.

Paul

Naw, that's a wussy servo. http://www.vantec.com/ssps105.htm 27 ft/lbs. Almost 5200oz-in if my rough-estimate off-the-cuff numbers are right there...

Dynamixel has the EX-106 which is standard-servo-sized, if I'm not mistaken (rather than the 805's 1/4 scale) - and it's 1166oz-in with RS485 control. It's also a full 360deg servo.

As far as what you want for your Quad - at least HS-645MG, but as I remember you weren't under a really tight budget, so you might want to look at the 5990TG [Titanium Gears]

Bigger than the Vantec you have to start looking at industrial servos, and at that point there are other solutions (pneumatics, large stepper motors, etc) that start making more sense.
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    Hitec is releasing a industrial servo with about 1300 oz/in. It will run at 12v about 14A max load and is the size of the 805 servo the jumbo sized one. Imagine the controller board needed for 18 of these. It was in a issue of Robot magazine in March or April. HSI-100G was a model nummber. Not sure on the model number and I cant find a spec sheet for it but I have seen one on a robotics forum. Could be Lynxmotion's site.

Paul
    ooh. Now that's super interesting since the robot I am currently building is based on the 805! 1300 oz/in might be enough to make a 1 meter robot!

For the life size humanoid im thinking of building, its going to be cheap. Can you use the same program and boards off a like let say a khr-1hv? All i will be doing is extending the arms and legs. The question is will the program know from a 15 inch humanoid to a 5 1/2 foot one. if i us the lightest matereals?

Images

The program won't know the difference, but think of the arms and legs as levers the longer they are, the more work it takes to move them depending on the pivot point.
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Boards? No.
    Software? Not without rewriting it - and that'd take source-code.

Human-sized humanoid != cheap. If they were, there'd be millions of 'em roaming around.

I think with some effort and creativity you should be able to get a human-sized humanoid working for $20-30,000.
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

Paul
    Yep. Lynxmotion..

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?t=3864

i would think if you could just us the board off of one of those humanoids put longer legs and arms, beef up the servos and.......TADAAAA!! I just want it to walk across the room..thats it. Just to say i got one in my house lol.

How will you compensate for gravity? How will you drive servos that draw hundreds of times the power? How will you compensate for balance of servos that weigh tremendously more? A servo that swings a 4" bone 20degrees to take a step is going to take a LOT longer step when that bone is 20".

I can think of a hundred reasons it wouldn't work that way right off the top of my head. But I'll leave you with this: consider why no one else has done it... It's probably impractical to think that no one else has thought of it, with all the universities and corporations making near-human-scale humanoids. I'm not quite ready to accept that they're all stupid... So assuming that everything I've written is wrong, and all you have to do is change a couple servos and slap some longer metal on it - why hasn't it been done?
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information