Thread: Learning embedded

1. Learning embedded

I am interested, at some point, maybe not soon, but at some point, learning what all this embedded programming is about.

I know C++ alright and our teacher made us learn it in a way so that it will be easy to pickup C.

I know I will need a programmer for the chips, but beyond that, are there good tutorials on how to get started with it anywhere? Obviously a robotics focus is where I am headed with this so a focus on that would be good. :P

Re: Learning embedded

Read through the Axon's code. It's pretty readable, and John (and contributors) have done a great job of implementing commonly used functions.

If you know C, it's really not the programming that needs to be considered, but maximizing the architecture's capability and learning to design algorithms to solve problems. Things like path finding, 2D matrices (for obstacle avoidance and mapping), wavefront propagation (ditto), kinematics, etc. Those are the real challenges, the language is just what you translate those things into. The stronger your math background the easier it is. Now's an especially good time to bone-up on your Trig, Geometry, and Differential Calculus...
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

3. Re: Learning embedded

Hrmm, its too bad I already got an SCC32 as this seems like the Axon might be more interesting to me.

Is it possible to interface the Axon with an SCC32?

Absolutely! The Axon has 4 total UARTs, one dedicated to the USB. You can take serial from the Axon to the SSC32.

I'm doing not something entirely different by interfacing the Arduino to the SSC32 [over XBee Wireless] - but the concept is exactly the same. They're both AVRs - the Axon just has a lot more ports including a lot more UARTs. It's basically plug-and-play TTL from one AVR to another.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Resilient View Post
    Hrmm, its too bad I already got an SCC32 as this seems like the Axon might be more interesting to me.

Never a bad thing to own an SSC-32, it's pretty much an essential tool in any roboticist's belt. I have 5 of them personally, one of which I have hooked up to a NiMH battery and an Xbee, just for servo centering and testing while I'm building.

As Adrenalynn said, there's no issue interfacing the Axon to the SSC-32, in fact its an ideal setup. The SSC-32 is a servo controller, not a standalone microcontroller like the Axon, so the two aren't exclusive anyway.

Arrow Re: Learning embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Resilient View Post

The Axon and the SSC-32 have two very different purposes. The Axon is an all around general purpose microcontroller board. The SSC-32 is the best darned servo controller you can get at any price, and it's extremely well supported.

Take the Axon and connect one of its four UARTs to the SSC-32 and take off from there for any application requiring controlling servos. The SSC-32 will take the load of servo control off of the Axon so you can concentrate more on your application.

I have two SSC-32's - one is for my main robot and the other is just for tinkering at present.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

7. Re: Learning embedded

Well, sounds like I wasn't misguided after all in my buying the SCC-32.

Thanks everyone.

Thread Information