Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 inch Linux Computer, sub $200

Images

3 inch Linux Computer, sub $200

Someone on another forum sent me this link. It's not of interest to me at the moment but since I didn't find any posts about it here I thought I'd pass the information on. Looks pretty swank if you want a 1-Watt Linux system with all the bells and whistles.

Re: 3 inch Linux Computer, sub $200

Quote Originally Posted by metaform3d View Post
    Someone on another forum sent me this link. It's not of interest to me at the moment but since I didn't find any posts about it here I thought I'd pass the information on. Looks pretty swank if you want a 1-Watt Linux system with all the bells and whistles.
    It's been awhile since I looked at this one. It's a nice small low power system, and with the XBee/MMC add-on board it could be a nice platform to work with swarm robotics and/or wireless sensor networks. Right now though, I am more interested in the BeagleBoard because it has the capability to process video and audio right on board.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

The Axis boards go way back - I have a long and sordid history with them.

Here's one that's easily to hand from Circa 2000
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

look good but is it only linux only ,beagleboard

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy View Post
    It's been awhile since I looked at this one. It's a nice small low power system, and with the XBee/MMC add-on board it could be a nice platform to work with swarm robotics and/or wireless sensor networks. Right now though, I am more interested in the BeagleBoard because it has the capability to process video and audio right on board.

8-Dale

Images

Quote Originally Posted by robot maker View Post
    look good but is it only linux only ,beagleboard
    I'd personally say that's a plus...

But in all seriousness - windows CE (or whatever the new name for embedded windows is) has been fairly overpriced and useless for a long time. Linux is the obvious choice of OS for non-real-time embedded systems. And the beagleboard is an embedded system (as opposed to say a Pico-ITX which simply a small PC)

-Fergs

Actually, there's pretty good Linux-derived RTOS kernels out there too.
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

linux is a great software for robots but alot of open source software wont work with it and some devices, and not really user friendly like windows is
    i have many linux programs that hope to add to my designs but still software is a problem that works with it
    like sapi engine,opencv ,and real good AI software not HAL or ALICE i have a really good one but problems with it on linux
    only thinking about it for web cam
    but i guess sofar the best and easy to use with my design is SRV-1 backfin camera 500 mhz,also on another design (johnny five ) 2 500 mhz camera,s insteadf of camera hook up to that board maybe 300 mhz each if both on at same time
    Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    I'd personally say that's a plus...

But in all seriousness - windows CE (or whatever the new name for embedded windows is) has been fairly overpriced and useless for a long time. Linux is the obvious choice of OS for non-real-time embedded systems. And the beagleboard is an embedded system (as opposed to say a Pico-ITX which simply a small PC)

-Fergs
    Last edited by robot maker; 12-22-2008 at 11:14 PM.

OpenCV compiles and runs fine on Linux. Been doing it for many years.

SAPI is a cheap hack. CMU and others have MUCH better speech engines for... wait for it... Linux.

There's only one kind of AI - the neural network you train and implement task-specific from the ground up.

I guess that pretty well sums up the "linux problem"
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

well that some good news,adding some might be a problem (speech engine)
    learning linux is maybe the hardest for me ,others maybe not so hard since they use it and then convert all c++ and other codes to it will be again supre hared besides the biggest AI,THE software its self does run on linux but the long code for AI is bigger problem besides the main board design for that software,others in the group of the person who made the AI says it very hard,but working on it,i think sapi was one,but still i love windows very easy to use ,most all software works for it,only linux is faster,so you get a faster itx board

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    OpenCV compiles and runs fine on Linux. Been doing it for many years.

SAPI is a cheap hack. CMU and others have MUCH better speech engines for... wait for it... Linux.

There's only one kind of AI - the neural network you train and implement task-specific from the ground up.

I guess that pretty well sums up the "linux problem"

Images

Robot Maker if you want to give linux a try then download the Ubuntu live CD. Burn the image to a CD and boot off of that. It's a complete Linux package that will allow you to try it out without actually installing or changing anything on your system. If you don't want to do the download and burn then you can request them to send you a CD. It's free (as in beer).

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information