Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Towards a body-worn wireless arm controller

Towards a body-worn wireless arm controller

I've been chatting for awhile about getting an XBee-based wireless arm controller that is entirely body-worn (even under clothing) going for a project I'm working on. This is still a WIP - I'll update as I go here. The body-worn portion is all machined and really just waiting for the wire-organization and harness.

The video linked here represents an Arduino, XBee, and Interface Board with two potentiometers sending packetized control data to the servo controller over XBee Coordinator/Router interface, which is then driving a stripped-down and modified CrustCrawler arm. The box on the front is a place-holder waiting on the finished box.

The robot-side is driven by a home-brew solution. I had boards built for the XBee, but I got the latest XBee Shield sent to me, and it was just too trick not to use...

This is a competition system, so any heavy details will be shared in March (with a complete "build your own" expose), but in the meantime questions will be answered here or in PM on a case-by-case.

Without further adieu:

http://www.jlrdesigns.com/bio-take-4.wmv

Last edited by Adrenalynn; 12-22-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Re: Towards a body-worn wireless arm controller

looks like a sweet bunch of work. You obviously have a lot more patience than I do...Can't wait to see the rest.

DB

Images

Interesting. I was hoping to actually see the wearable bit but this is pretty cool. I am definitely impressed with the junction box bucket
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Meh - place-holder. Wait until you see the finished bucket.

I'm hoping in the next day or two to have the body-worn bit done. It's surprisingly simple. I just finished machining a spring-steel and acrylic board mount for the body wearable segment. Not sure if it'll be work on the arm like an mp3 player when you're exercising, or on the belt. But this should work either way.

Who was the maroon that decided a 3 hole board mounting on the Arduinos was a good idea? I'd like to meet that person in a dark alley...

Photo:
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 12-23-2008 at 12:48 AM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post

Who was the maroon that decided a 3 hole board mounting on the Arduinos was a good idea? I'd like to meet that person in a dark alley...

Photo:
    You and me both sister. It's probably the same guy that spaced the connectors just right to not fit anything.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Oh yeah, that guy. That's like a serious knee-capping offense right there. What kind of lunacy prompted that bit of brain surgery?!?!

Here's an early test-fitting. Obviously this is a crude test held together with ace-bandage, but believe it or not - it's functional... I'm a little embarassed to post this because it is so early and crude... But, hey, baby-steps, right?
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Now I'm totally digging it. I assume each joint has a pot. Did you have to use any type of a bearing or does the pot shaft support the load? That looks like a really intuitive way to control an arm.
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

For you, Jes, I'll share high-res photos and descriptions via PM until I can disclose the full build here. [This is one of those case-by-case]
    I Void Warranties�

Images

This is sooooooo cool on so many levels!
    I am on the edge of my seat to see the next step.
    I appreciate that you can't share everything ... but please share all that you are comfortable with!!!
    Great stuff!

Images

Real good work Adrenalynn, Now I know this could be a project for my SG-5UT arm, What do you think?
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Thread Information