Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bioloid: I popped the question

Images

Post Bioloid: New Kit Info+USB Adapter Info

I popped the question. No, I'm not getting married to my robot, yet. However, I did ask Robotis when it is they planned on releasing the new Bioloid kits, or upgrades, or whatever they are, and here is their response:

ROBOTIS

The new Bioloid kit should be out next year around Spring.
    As you know most of our current Bioloid parts are now separately available,
    and I believe it will be so with the new kit, meaning it should be made available for upgrade.
    I can't give you any exact dates on when it will be uploaded separately though,
    but one thing for sure is it'll be out next year!

Thank you for your comments and advice.

ROBOTIS

There has been a lot of speculation as to what the upgrades/kits will be exactly, simply because Robotis obviously loves to design different styles of robots.

But I am almost certain that there will be more than one option for upgrade:

New, smoother, stylized black torso and head, black frames, lower battery placement (outside of the CM-5) for a lower CoG. I've seen metal brackets, axes and all kinds of crazy adaptations, but one thing is for sure, and it's that we will have a lot of options and a lot more fun to come with our Bioloid kits.
    Last edited by Obscene; 12-24-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    There's something warm and classy about a vacuum tube.

Re: Bioloid: I popped the question

man I can hardly wait

>> No, I'm not getting married to my robot, yet

Whew. That's the first thing I thought. Are you leading your poor robot on?

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Nice, I might be tempted on this one.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

5. Re: Bioloid: I popped the question

HI, my name is Glen and I just joined. I (and my son) are proud owners (when Santa arrives tonight) of a new Bioloid. I had a peek and discovered that I did not purchase the USB to Serial Converter. Must I utilize the USB2Dyanamixel converter? Are there other recommendations for USB to Serial (Laptop has only USB).
    Also, I know this is a little off topic, but I am just getting used to the many places in this forum and will be happy to post in a more appropriate place upon your kind advice.
    thanks.

Hi Glen,

I'm going to move this over to the Ultimate Bioloid Thread (I'll link back here) in a little bit so it will get more attention. No problem at all - we're pretty easy going.

You should have gotten a cable that has a 9pin Serial (DB9) on one side, and a 3 segment 1/8" plug on the other (I believe - I don't have one...)

As long as you have that DB9 9pin serial, you can just use a regular ol' Serial -> USB converter. The Dynamixel converter is for talking directly to the servos without the CM5 computer that you got in your kit. [Note: Andrew from Trossen tells me that the Dynamixel Converter also doubles as a USB -> Serial Adapter as well - however a regular USB -> Serial will work fine for your purposes]

If you're here on the West Coast where I am, Radio Shack is open until 8pm for most of them, mine had several on the shelf (I noticed a few minutes ago) - over priced, of course. Best Buy was varying betwixt 9pm and 10pm. Fry's Electronics is open until 9pm.

I prefer the Belkin if I'm going to go that route myself.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, now RUN! Congrats to you and your son on "his" new Christmas gift! Make sure you can plug it in - GO! What are you still reading for?
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 12-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

@Glen: A lot of people are having problems with USB-to-Serial adapters, and haven't found a solution as of yet, that I know of. I've posted the problem to Robotis at their website (http://www.robotis.com/zbxe/22949#4), though I haven't gotten an official response as to a work-around of any kind. I'm using the Cables Unlimited USB-to-Serial adapter and it works in every aspect other than reading motion files from the robot.

Let me explain; when you create motions with the included Motion Editor software, they are saved directly to the robot's CM-5, you then are supposed to be able to use the Behavioral Control program to read the motion data from the robot's CM-5 to your storage device (HDD, etc) but this process is not working for me and a lot of other people when using a USB-to-Serial adapter.

In the same area of the Device Manager, you may want to change your original Communications Port (COM1) to COM2 or one of the other available ports, so that you may use your new USB Serial Port on COM1.

Now, when you create/install a USB-to-Serial port, it will show in your device manager as "USB Serial Port" and you may then edit the settings of that port:

Device Manager -> Expand Ports (COM & LPT) -> Right-click USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Now you may edit the ports settings:

Bits per second: 57600
    Data bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow control: None

Now, go to the Advanced button within the Port Settings tab under your ports properties and change the Com Port Number to COM1.

Where I think the problem lies is the values of the settings under the Port Settings tab and within the Advanced dialog box. If I can post these values to Robotis and allow for them to help me set them correctly for file transfer on the port from the CM-5, perhaps it will work correctly.

I'll keep you all up-to-date on the issue.

Edit: I know this seems like a lot, but really it's quite a small set-back. The Robotis Bioloid kit is, despite this small problem, still one of the very best available IMHO. So don't let it stop you from having fun!
    Last edited by Obscene; 12-24-2008 at 08:12 PM.

8. Re: Bioloid: I popped the question

Obscene, Thanks, Is this read issue you are describing only with respect to reading the motion data from CM-5 memory or is it an issue with all reads from the CM-5. For example, I watched a Demo on YouTube where the Bioloid was positioned and then the Application Swr read the position and converted it into a "frame" for subsequent download. Does this "read all servos position" function?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscene View Post
    @Glen: A lot of people are having problems with USB-to-Serial adapters, and haven't found a solution as of yet, that I know of. I've posted the problem to Robotis at their website (linked below), though I haven't gotten an official response as to a work-around of any kind. I'm using the Cables Unlimited USB-to-Serial adapter and it works in every aspect other than reading motion files from the robot.

Let me explain; when you create motions with the included Motion Editor software, they are saved directly to the robot's CM-5, you then are supposed to be able to use the Behavioral Control program to read the motion data from the robot's CM-5 to your storage device (HDD, etc) but this process is not working for me and a lot of other people when using a USB-to-Serial adapter.

In the same area of the Device Manager, you may want to change your original Communications Port (COM1) to COM2 or one of the other available ports, so that you may use your new USB Serial Port on COM1.

Now, when you create/install a USB-to-Serial port, it will show in your device manager as "USB Serial Port" and you may then edit the settings of that port:

Device Manager -> Expand Ports (COM & LPT) -> Right-click USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Now you may edit the ports settings:

Bits per second: 57600
    Data bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow control: None

Now, go to the Advanced button within the Port Settings tab under your ports properties and change the Com Port Number to COM1.

Where I think the problem lies is the values of the settings under the Port Settings tab and within the Advanced dialog box. If I can post these values to Robotis and allow for them to help me set them correctly for file transfer on the port from the CM-5, perhaps it will work correctly.

I'll keep you all up-to-date on the issue.

Edit: I know this seems like a lot, but really it's quite a small set-back. The Robotis Bioloid kit is, despite this small problem, still one of the very best available IMHO. So don't let it stop you from having fun!

http://www.robotis.com/zbxe/22949#4

Images

Yes, it does. I haven't had any problems with manipulating the robot in any way other than reading motion files from the robot. This however doesn't mean for sure that you won't have other problems, all though I doubt that you will.

The problem lies in that you aren't able to save your motions to the PC, so when you edit motions in the future, you won't be able to revert back to older ones, other than ones that came with the Bioloid software.

Edit: You may luck out and not have any problems at all! Let's hope that is the case.
    Last edited by Obscene; 12-24-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Images

If all else fails, do you have an old PC with a serial port you could use? Just as a backup if you run into problems with the USB > Serial.

I do know that not all USB > Serial adapters have issues, I can't recall the brand but we have one in the office that works without issue. Just setup the port settings as Obscene posted and hope for the best, I would advise agains picking up a random no-name brand of adapter, spend a little extra for a good name brand such as Belkin. You should also be able to just download the stock motions to play with in the mean time if you do run into motion read issues.

If you do run into issues, feel free to give me a call on Friday- I'll be in the office. Our number is at the top of the site. I own a bioloid kit myself along with a lot of the more advanced offerings from Robotis, so I'm quite familiar with the hardware in general.

Thread Information