Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a rover

Images

Building a rover

I want to make a rover for fun.

I would like to know what you guys would recommend in terms of quality/price.

For the moment I will keep the robot simple. Maybe remotly controlled via a PS2 controller and could be autonomous at the same time with a couple of sensors.

The first decision I need to take is the base. I was looking at lynxmotion's tri-track desing. For the price it looks like a good deal. I could later modifie it since I'm not a big fan of the Triangle part of the tracks...

My second option would be to buy the parallax (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ontroller.aspx) and build my own base. Sinc eI have no tools to do this, it would most likly be a square with little shape. I'm slowly thinking of rulling this option out because if I ever need beter motors than the ones in the lynxmotion kit, I would want fster motors, and these motors only run at about 190 RPMs.

Anyone have any other ideas as waht the base could be? I'm open to any idea

I will ask for controlling option later when I have more time.

Sam

Re: Building a rover

Don't know if you saw my posts - but I really like the tri-track but the motors stink. I replaced them with Banebots about 12x as quick.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

I definitely like the Lynx tracks, very strong, easy to put together and are extendable with more links.They are durable and have great rubber traction for treads. Downside, A bit on the expensive side.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Sam, I really like the parallax (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ontroller.aspx). This is a great kit that comes with the everything you need for the powertrain. As far as attaching this to a body, you can bolt it to a plastic plate, alum plate, a box of some sort and not a lot of heavy tooling required. That said, you can find a few complete rovers for what this kit costs. Maybe you should lean toward a kit that has most of the parts supplied, spend more time coding/hacking and enjoying it, and less time on the build?
    Myself, I love the build and fear the code. Don't be like me ... learn to code, live to code, build to code

Guess it might depend on where you intend to "rove" and what parts of robot building you enjoy. If the bot is mainly indoors, the Lynx kit with some different motors might be good, keeping the robot down under 2 foot per second, or maybe a little faster. The Parallax drive train looks like about 6" wheels at 150 rpm possible, getting near 4 feet per second for more of an outdoor robot speed, still catchable in case of program probs. The PS2 controller might be more for an indoor robot due to probable range issues though, but wireless upgrade to XBee later on might allow more outdoor distance.

If you enjoy building stuff, try a few simple platforms, just to see if you've got something you like. Or adapt something, like a cool looking chrome trashcan or mixing bowl. Many things can be a robot if you look hard enough. If you are more into programming than hammering and wiring, a kit might be best.

What, no love for my [now dialed back] 12-16ft/sec TriTrack?
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    What, no love for my [now dialed back] 12-16ft/sec TriTrack?
    Sounds very fast, very fun, and a whole lot of liability. Is this the Lynx tracks with Banebots motors?

I had a set of EV Warrior motors at one time, planned for an outdoor bot, that might have gotten into that speed category. Sadly sold them a while back. May have been a good thing due to 1/2mv^2 though.

Yup. The tracks held up amazingly well - not even any scratches on the sprockets. Those things are tough - it looks painful though with them rubbing on the frame as the tracks wrap around it. (Could use more support there, imho).

I've dialed it back to about 960 RPM at the shaft. (Stock on the stock Lynx motors I had was sub-60RPM @ 7.2v)

The target for this bot is a 4' x 4' formica (backside) sheet with 1x2 surrounding it. Even at present horsepower/torque curve it will literally launch into the air off of the 1x2 if you're not paying attention (R/C transmitter controlled at the moment, probably 2x Wii Nunchuk in tank control style using the accelerometers by the time it's done, depending on schedule and time)
    I Void Warranties�

Images

I just read the the other thread about your transformation... I'll probably wait util I get the tracks to figure if I want to change them and when. Looking at your videos again, it looks really fun to control.

Listening to what you guys said, I will try to be more on the programing side of things. So probably just a kit will fo for the moment. The tracks look good and will last a long time. I could also change configuration later on, which would be nice.

Anyone has another kit that they bought or that they would want to recommend?

Next thing I need information on is the main controller. Now taht I've fried my Basic Atom, I need to buy another (micro) one. I'm looking for a micro that I will be able to get a PS2 gamepad to work with. I also want it to be able to send commands to the SSC-32 easily. I am not very good programmer and I might need somethings with program examples. I was looking at the Basic ATom pro or maybe the arduino contorller that seems to be used by lots of you guys.

Any comments about what you are using as controller, how they work, do program examples exist?

Thanks a lot for helping me!

Sam

Images

Sam, If it is of any help to you you could also look at my T-1 tracked base unit, as this is the type of base that I think you are eventually wanting, It is constructed out of Lynx parts, but you have to make some of the parts to get it working as Lynx have NOT got parts made to make it work, Just another option for you. Here.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Thread Information