Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding force sensitive resistors to the phoenix.

Images

Adding force sensitive resistors to the phoenix.

Hi All,

Iíve spend some hours of my Christmas vacation in the cold garage. Iíve added LMís FSRís and Iím pretty happy with the result. The rubber cap is just a little bit bigger and all the wires are perfectly hidden in the nylon sleeve.

I think the pictures will explain it all

Started with a 8mm aluminium rod and some M3 bolts

The bumper is a little bit bigger then the FSR but thatís a good good thing because it fits perfectly in the rubber cap.

The cable is strapped behind the leg so you can hardly see it from the front.

Here is the endresult:

The wires are still hanging loose as you can see. Iím making a small circuit to convert the analog signals to digital ones. But I havenít got that ready yet.

Xan

Re: Adding force sensitive resistors to the phoenix.

Im trying to do the same with just a switch. But the problem Im having is debouncing the switch.

How is the software on this going?

Paul

Images

Very cool stuff. The pictures are great as well. Will you be sharing the code on making them work?
    +rep for sharing

Images

Wow that looks great man. Does the rubber bumpon affect the response of the FSR?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Hi All,

Thanks for the reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    Im trying to do the same with just a switch. But the problem Im having is debouncing the switch. How is the software on this going?
    Just a switch should be enough to measure if the feet touches the ground. Canít you add a switch with a spring to return it to the basic position?

I didnít start on the software part yet. I have to improve some other small parts and get V2.0 up and running before Iím gone include the terrain adaption. But I wanted to get away from my desk for some hours

Quote Originally Posted by ooops View Post
    Very cool stuff. The pictures are great as well. Will you be sharing the code on making them work? +rep for sharing
    Thanks! Yepp, Iím gone share this code as well. Iím planning to release a major update with release 2.0. There is a lot of speed improvement in there. And Iím gone include the terrain adaption in 2.0 and release it in 2.1. You can check the latest status at my topic on lynxmotion

Quote Originally Posted by jes1510 View Post
    Wow that looks great man. Does the rubber bumpon affect the response of the FSR?
    I didnít had the time to test the affect of the rubber bumper and the working angle. Iím hoping to get some results later on this week. Lets hope for the best

Thanks, Xan

Just a switch should be enough to measure if the feet touches the ground. Can’t you add a switch with a spring to return it to the basic position?
    The problem is the switch jumps open to close several times and the leg doesn't stop but studders.

The software runs to fast for the switch so I have to make circuit like this:
    Values will be different just have to do the math.

Ill start a thread about this once I got something finished.

Paul

Images

Hi All,

I had those pictures lying around for a couple of weeks but didnít had time to post them. ops:

I did some testing with the setup on a breadboard before I found the right resistor value. The value needs to be very precise to let it work. With other values the rubber caps give enough force to prevent the Schmitt trigger from switching. I came out with some 6k8 resistors and they work pretty good.

Iíve made a home brew PCB with the needed components. I miss the time that I went to school and simply could walk to the lab and made my own ďprofessionalĒ PCBísÖ :roll:

Any suggestion for a company who can make me a real PCB is welcome.

The 9V battery for the logic is moved to the upper deck to create some space for the PCB. Everything is connected now and Iím pretty happy with the result!

The PCB is placed upside-down where you can see the green wires sticking out.

No update on the programming yet.

Xan

8. Re: Adding force sensitive resistors to the phoenix.

Any suggestion for a company who can make me a real PCB is welcome
    I have been using these guys since December of 2007, and everytime I order a PCB, if I order it in the morning, I get it that afternoon, and this is just FEDEX! Of course I live in the same state, but still. Professional quality, very speedy, very cheap, etc!

Most of my PCBS are around $15-20

http://www.procyonpcb.com/

Tybs is hyper-fond of http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz
    I Void WarrantiesÔŅĹ

Images

lnxfergy is actually the one who pointed me in their direction. Let's see... $99 for 1000 sq cm, including free shipping. I placed the order on last Friday and its going to be at my doorstep on Monday. That is absolutely outstanding for PCB manufacturing turnaround. Quality is superb (this is the actual company that Sparkfun uses) and you can't beat the price. That said- not a good place to go to for onesie twosie work, but when you consider its usually $15-20 per single board, that adds up quick. I'm getting [25x] 2.5x2.5" boards for $99.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Tybs is hyper-fond of http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz

Thread Information