I didn't finsihed the calibration part this weekend, but the new head and mandible with FSR sensor are done. So I grabbed my camera and took some pictures again.
The abdomen/tail part containing SSC32, BB2 with BAP28, 2x Turnigy switch regulators, power switch for electronic and servos and a switch for serial select between BAP and PC for SSC32. I'm using a 2S 800 mAh LiPo for electronics and a 2S 5100 mAh LiPo for servo powering. Both batteries are monitored by a little Maxtro Battery Monitor that gives you a loud beep when the LiPo's needs to be charged/changed. I know that this could be solved by letting the BAP doing the monitor, but I wanted a solution that worked when I didn't use the BAP (only SSC32). I've not mounted the RC receiver yet.
To guide all wires to the tail wasn't an easy task... Total of 25 servos and 7 pair of sensor wires makes alot of spagetti! :lol:
I've not mounted the lower and upper abdomen cover yet, but this picture gives you a little hint:
I made a stand, giving A-pod's leg full freedom while testing and calibration:
A-pod on the stand:
Some pictures of A-pod:
Here are two pictures of A-pod together with Phoenix for comparing sizes (ah, I forgot to crop the picture...):
Comments are appreciated!
Last edited by Zenta; 03-02-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I wrote 27 servos, instead of 25...
Everything about it looks great. It shows quality and craftsmanship at the higest level.
I know I asked you before, why dont you cover your Bots with a realistic type ant body/covering?
I thing the sight of seeing something that big crawing around looking like a real ant would freek out people.
How about doing home vacuforming? Tutorials out the wazoo in the usual places for that kinda thing.
I Void Warranties�
I would argue not to go down that route...unless you want to. From an artistic point of view I would argue that to try to cover your robots in a more realistic skin would actually detract from them as robots. Part of what I persive to be the beauty of your designs is how they bring out the animorphic qualities of your robots while still presenting them as robots. When I watch the videos of phoenix I know that it is a robot which represents a spider. When I look at A-pod, I know that it is a robot which represents an ant. If you cover either in spider or robot skin, then they just become a fake spider and ant respectively. Basically what I am trying to say is if you make a fake spider or ant, then you will be judged by me atleast on how realistic your fakes are.
Personally I think you should stick to the path you are on. Your giving your robots a sense of life, and animating them beautifully. Needless to say I find them inspiring.
dude, frickin amazing work! i cannot wait to see where this one takes you! very organic.
Looks like your well on your way to world domination!
I for one welcome Zenta and his robotic insect army!
Trying to make a real copy of life is very hard and often almost impossible since the nature are so much more complex. If you have seen or heard prof. Robert Full talking about copying the principle of nature you know what I mean. My A-pod project have only been inspired by nature, my intention was never to copy it.
I'll try to stick to the path you mention .
Recently I've been a bit frustrated about my A-pod since the ABS plastic material I'm using is a bit more flexible than expected. So I'm going to do some modifications by reinforcing the leg construction by using an additional femur part on the opposite side. I've already made one prototype and it didn't look to bad either. But the best part is that the leg became much more stable. I've to order some parts before I can finish it.
Finaly, today I managed to make a little video of A-pod. The original sound had some glitches so I needed to replace the soundtrack in youtube. I'm not done with all the mechanical improvements for the legs yet, but the body movement and head control work fine (therefore very little walking). I'm still playing with the code. I've also rebuilt the abdomen joint, the low profile servo didn't manage the panning function so its replaced with a 645.
I'll post more pictures when I'm done with the legs.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)