Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

1. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Something extremely similar to what I'm after:

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOf_IZXzl2c"]YouTube - PIC18F Simple touch screen GUI[/ame]

If I had that - I could get casing from somewhere no problem.

Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Yup! In this case, they're using a PIC18F microcontroller to drive the touchscreens. Probably digital data lines...

The mid-sized PICs, the mid-sized AVRs, pretty much any of the ARMs - do you already code under any of the common microcontrollers? If you do - pick one of those.

I like the AVRs myself, but I've never been fond of the PICs, really - but that's just a personal preference thing.

This unit: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8853 is ready to go. Nicely encased, all the I/O taken care of, processor and RAM onboard. And you could do some radically spiffy stuff with its extras, like the MP3 decoder and the 3axis/11bit accelerometer. You could press the touch screen to click your PC's mouse button, and rotate the hand-held unit causing it to move the mouse around on the PC screen just from rotation and draw on the PC screen, echo'd to the touchscreen. Kinda like a super-wiimote.

As far as I can see, this unit meets all your requirements and then destroys them with extras. You could even make it wireless to the PC by plugging in a wifi router or hooking-up an XBee
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 01-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    I Void Warranties�

3. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Hi Adrenalynn, can't thank you enough for your help so far!
    It's looking like that is the ideal unit. I'd be using that for future projects also with the sort of extras it comes with - looks cool.
    The idea of wifi has just made it a LOT better also! Great idea.
    However, I'm not going to come on here claiming to be an amazing c# programmer, as you know I'm in uni. Network programming is about as complicated as I've got so far in my programming 'career' so I have no experience at all with coding for any type of microcontroller. That's why I was originally going to link it up to the computer - because coding a c# solution in my usual Visual Studio IDE would not be a problem, and neither would displaying it. With this however, it sounds like a whole new type of programming discipline is to be learnt - which I don't mind, but I would really prefer to stick to my usual way of coding for this particular type as I will also have to run flash files (.swf) for a nice interface and then code some sort of interfacing with an sql database.
    I went off on one there, but what I suppose I'm trying to ask is whether programming on this would just be like the way I code on visual studio on windows xp, but a rather more mini version? Like I mentioned, I will need to develop a flash movie for this as well as c#. All of which can be developed on my main pc and then transferred over if that's an option?
    But yer, that meets all of my requirements and some!
    Thanks again
    Dan

I'm thinking I *really* "need" one of those. That's so pretty and so reasonably priced...

Anywho - you would be writing probably in C. Your development environment would be probably in GNU gcc toolchain and crosscompiling to the ARM on there.

Honestly, microcontroller coding can be anything from super simple to rather complex. You can whack out something super fast and easy - and then you want it to run smoother and you spend six months fighting timing interrupts.

I prototype algorithms on microcontrollers because the environment is so much lighter and tighter than any of the bloated PC development environments these days.
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Hi Adrenalynn,

The last thing I want to do is come accross as lazy, but it would be a lot easier if I were to be able to code it in my usual development environment and in c#. I'm also going to be needing to include a macromedia flash movie so where would I be designing that? Would it be possible to somehow compile a c# project (including the flash file) on my pc ready for use on the unit?
    Sorry if I'm missing important points, it would be fair to say I'm pretty clueless towards programming for microcontrollers. If this isn't possible, is it not possible to use this unit for the display and touchscreen input (as well as tilt input etc.) only. I know this defeats the object of the whole unit, as it is designed to handle all processing, memory etc. but it's all I'm after for now.

Thanks

Nope, and Nope. And Nope.

Alas, microcontrollers are not PCs. They don't run winders. They don't run C#.

Now, I suppose for a LOT more money, you could build yourself a big ARM system and run Linux on it, and then try to port your code over to Mono.

Or maybe get Windows CE running on the Gumstix and run your C# under there. That might be your best bet. Figure a couple hundred dollars for the gumstix, a couple hundred dollars for CE, if you are an Enterprise developer, you have CE tools (probably also have them being in college), so no cost there. A couple hundred dollars more for the touchscreen (NOT the one I linked last, but one of the raw screens). Another hundred in glue hardware, and then you'll need to build your own frame/case, whatever that costs. A few months full-time getting it all to work together, and then you should be ready to start on your project. You're still not going to run flash on it though.

If it were me, I'd just write a handful of lines of C code to make the one I linked talk to the PC, then I'd just send rendering commands from the PC to the microcontroller.

>is it not possible to use this unit for the display and touchscreen input

Absolutely! That's what I'm proposing. Probably a thousand lines of code written in C, cross-compiled with GCC, and uploaded to the microcontroller to make it behave that way...
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 01-10-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    I Void Warranties�

Have you considered just buying a small touchscreen monitor and hooking it up to the PC? All the microcontroller programming will have already been done for you. Just install their drivers and you're good to go.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html

$400 here: http://www.xenarcdirect.com/home.php

It's basically just a VGA monitor (800 x 480 native) and the touchscreen runs on the PC's mouse driver.
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 01-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Since it can be a wired peripheral the check out what the folks have been doing for car PC's. Although Adrenalynn's suggestions are solid ones.

http://www.mp3car.com/
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

That monitor I linked is the be-all-end-all for car-pc's - the 9" version's in mine. I originally found it on mp3car.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Alas, microcontrollers are not PCs. They don't run winders. They don't run C#.
    true, but can't you run the .NET micro framework on some microcontrollers?

http://www.microsoft.com/netmf/default.mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/embedded/bb267253.aspx

I don't have any direct experience with .NET MF, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't require an OS of any sort. I've seen MF running on ridiculously small (dimension-wise) chips out at Maker Faire, which I thought were microcontrollers, but I could be wrong. Either way though, what I saw was quite amazing for a MS product.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information