Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Yup. That's why I mentioned the big ARM chips like the Gumstix. They will run CE which will run SOME dotNet. dotNet isn't an operating system, so you have to run one first - CE in this case. As that page you linked notes - there's a minimum 64k of RAM required above and beyond the OS. The micros most of us think and link here on the forum top out at that or far below.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

I think we're talking about two things here Adrenalynn.

Windows CE is Microsoft's version of a compact operating system. When you program Windows CE applications, you use the .NET Compact Framework. Windows CE has been around for a while now.

However, the .NET Micro Framework is relatively new and can run directly on the ARM chip itself (and other microcontrollers) without any Operating System.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

I'm sorry - I'll read it more closely. I wasn't aware of that.

Minimum memory requirements are still a little steep, but good for an ARM9. I'll study it more closely and chime back in! Thanks for explaining it!
    I Void Warranties�

Ok - I stand corrected - thanks again!

Minimum 400KB of on-device storage. Minimum 64KB of RAM. (That's just for the framework with the bare-minimum installed)

Arm7 or 9 meeting those requirements (Blackfin appears to be recently announced)

Must use Standard or Pro Visual Studio - not the free version (from the FAQ)

C# is the only development language supported right now (from the FAQ)

So ~$200 to $3000 for the tools, and it takes a pretty steep development board. The Gumstix would be a good choice still.

Thanks for explaining it to me, Alex! Worth having in the arsenal. Doesn't get us to running a Flash interpreter on it, but at least it makes coding to C# in some instances a reality.
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

I don't mean to come accross ungrateful of all your feedback and advice but this seems to have got a lot more complex that what I had anticipated.

Let's completely forget about the keypad for starters. I can recieve input from the user solely by touchscreen. What I am after now is very simple. Just a full-colour, touchscreen LCD/OLED (not sure), with a decent resolution that I can literally just plug a vga lead into or maybe usb. But basically what I want to do is design my software so that it is the right size to fit on to the screen (so I'm expecting to be working on a smaller sized form in visual studio etc. before plugging in the touchscreen) which will fill the touchscreen display.

To sum things up, I'm after one of these...

http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/To...4Pa38Ta38Nb3n0

...but about 3.5" instead.

Thanks a lot so far, I've learnt a lot in this thread already but for now I'm just after a really simple, small touchscreen solution.

Thanks again,

Dan

6. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

just to give you a good idea of what i'm after:

http://www.visiontouch.com/3_5_vga_l...ch_vga_lcd.htm

that's exactly it, that might even be the one I get

7. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

actually i won't, no touchscreen capabilities

if noone knows of a small vga touchscreen then what about the typical 3.5" touchscreen lcds that aren't vga - are there any easy ways of connecting them via vga? like a converter or something similar??

tar,

Dan!

Images

I'm sorry - I'll read it more closely. I wasn't aware of that.

Minimum memory requirements are still a little steep, but good for an ARM9. I'll study it more closely and chime back in! Thanks for explaining it!
    Sorry? No reason to be sorry I didn't know if I was reading it right. Been too swamped on backend website work lately to read anything in detail

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Whatcha want there is a touchscreen overlay with a serial adapter.

In fact, crystal also makes serial adapters. Basically, they've done the microcontroller programming for you. http://www.crystalvisions.com/serial_lcd.htm is their site.

Sure - you can convert VGA to NTSC/PAL for TV style monitors! Do a Google search for:
    vga scan converter ntsc

Give ya the search terms 'cause there's a trillion of them - they're a consumer item.

I still think you should just write the MC code to control it one of the MC driven ones like I first linked. I'll bet you'd have the MC side sending/receiving data from a pc in a week.
    I Void Warranties�

10. Re: Half PDA/Half Desktop PC

Adrenalynn, before I go on to ask you more about that crystal set-up (because I'm a bit confused with parts of it), can I ask why isn't it just as simple as going to a shop, buying the typical monitor (even if it is touchscreen) and plugging it into the vga. The fact that the screen I am after is smaller seems to lead me into a world of microcontrollers, c programming and different adapters. If you could help clear things up that would be great, I appreciate all of your help so far.

Dan

Thread Information