Thread: Yes... Another WALL-E hack

1. Yes... Another WALL-E hack

Well, I was going to wait until I had a bit more done on this project before posting anything but I thought I would share the work so far (which isn't much).

To start off with I thought I'd give you a bit of background on myself. My name is Kirk and I work in IT on a beautiful tropical island off the north-east coast of Australia. I have no experience with robotics but it has always been an area that I have wanted to gain a bit more knowledge in. I think I may be a bit over my head with this project but I find that's the best way to learn. So if you see areas I could improve or may be doing something wrong please let me know. I will have a lot of questions for you!

I am a fan of WALL-E as I'm sure many people are here and this project was mainly inspired by 4mem8

My idea was to take a wall-e toy and fit a pico itx inside to give wall-e that bit of extra processing power that he deserves. So... I went and started spending some money.

Inside, wall-e will have a VIA pico itx using a 16gb CF card on a SATA converter as storage. Originally I bought a 2.5" laptop hdd but found that it was slightly too big once the cables were connected to it. He will also have a lynxmotion ssc-32 board to control his servos.

It's going to be a tight fit but it will be possible to get everything inside. The pico itx will be powered by a 2S 3300mAh lipo battery and the ssc32 and servos will be powered by a slightly smaller lipo. To save space I'm not going to fit a motor controller but rather run wall-e's tracks from continuous rotation servos from the ssc32. (I hope that's possible)

The plan is to use roborealm with the pico itx so I pulled wall-e's head apart, fitted a camera in one of his eyes and mounted the eyes to a pan/tilt lynxmotion setup.

Next steps will be taking my dremel and grinding out as much of the excess plastic inside that I can. I will also need to make a few cuts in the bottom of wall-e to be able to connect the servos to his tracks.

After I get this running I will start playing around with servos on his arms. I also have a set of lynxmotion little grippers that I'd like to add on.

I will keep updating with pictures and commentary as I go but if anyone has any comments or suggestions I'd really love to hear them.

Images

Re: Yes... Another WALL-E hack

great start! Keep us posted
    I reject your reality and inject my own.
    www.Trampbot.org

Images

Nice work so far!
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

I put a couple of the "Parallax" Futaba continuous rotation servos on an RC tank I hacked for a robot base and they work really well and work with the ssc32. Good luck with Wall-E!

Thread Information