Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Started

Started

Hi gang.

Well; the bug has bit, and I have started construction on my future mech. So excited that I had to post this.

I went and bought, "Robot Builder's Bonanza", and will get the one that was similarly titled (I think it was microcontroller builder's bonanza or something, a little later after this read.

I have to save up for the things I can't make (servos (lots), controllers, other electronic bits that I don't know how to use yet), but the things I can make, I have started today.
    I layed up the carbon fiber plate, that will be used to bolt together the lower torso of me mech.
    This assembly will secure the first two servos for the legs, and the 360* servo for torso rotation.
    After this assembly is built, I will make the upper torso plugs / molds / parts, then save and purchase the leg servos, and lay-up their brackets after that. (cant wait to make feet).

I don't know how long this build will take, But I want to do a step by step of it's construction.

A question about feet. Anyone make feet that look like the one's on "Mad dog" / "Timberwolf"?
    Will feet like that give stability problems, because of the tri-contact patch they give (one at the rear)? Is this something I just will have to try out to actually see if it works?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, just excited that's all.

Images

Re: Started

I believe 4mem8 was building a tri-toed mech modeled after ED-209. Do a search here in the forums and you should find it. His work is outstanding.

Good luck with the mech! Are you planning on competing in the upcoming Mech Warfare?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Things like feet are one of those constantly evolving parts of a robot...well...actually the whole thing will be in a constant state of change, upgrades, downgrades etc. you will wake up in the middle of the night with a whole new idea for some part of it, and that will change something else, which makes yesterdays feet obsolete..

I've tried aluminum plates, soft rubber, hard rubber, and now have UHMW feet on Bheka.

Have fun...
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

My suggestion, is to spend the least amount of time on the hardware that is practical. Don't underestimate the amount of time it's going to take you to get a working control system going! This event, imho, is going to be made and killed by the programming and your control system. The programming is brutal.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Good to see your excitemen!

Likewise I'm getting in the final parts from Robotis and sending off my brackets to get milled in the next few weeks so I'm pretty excited myself. I'm building based on the Vulture/Mad Dog, and likewise using a 3 toe design. The two front toes are going to be pretty widely spread, and the rear toe will be somewhat wide in hopes that will provide more than enough stability.

What servos do you plan on using?

I can say I not going to make the mech battle. To much jobs for my work, and no way will I have the mech working for then. I probably will have it built, but I have to learn about programming and all that sort of stuff.

I know what ya's mean about all of a sudden thoughts. I just started carving the upper-torso plug, out of pinkfoam. I'll see how far I can get it, in between other non-related builds. Got to get the customer's stuff out and use my available time to build their stuff.

The superstructure and hardware is easy to me, and I know that the real work will take forever. But, I'm not going anywhere. All in good time.

I want to use the hitech (rhymes wid mech) , 8498 servos for the legs , and I'll likely make a 360 rotater out of some spare servos in the tool box. For arm control (basically just tilt for gun arms), again I'll probably use toolbox servo spares. We'll see. I plan on making the whole structure very light (very strong aswell), so those torque rating should suffice. We'll see,

Images

There is always next year as well

I would suggest checking out the AX-12s if youre on a budget, bang for buck they're about the best deal out there for high torque servos.

Just checked those servos out. They are nice. They're now my choice. at the moment.

Thanx.

Just wondering, I have a cheap nexxtech webcam/mic. It came with my laptop, and I never use it. I dissassembled it this morning.

Could the insides be used for an alright set of eyes / ears? (providing I knew how to do the programming jiggery-pokery).
    Last edited by Plagueous Noir; 01-13-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Plagueous Noir View Post
    Just wondering, I have a cheap nexxtech webcam/mic. It came with my laptop, and I never use it. I dissassembled it this morning.

Could the insides be used for an alright set of eyes / ears? (providing I knew how to do the programming jiggery-pokery).

It depends. The web cam you have probably connects via USB. That means that it needs to connect to a computer that can act as the USB host with a cable. That means that you have to have either a computer or really big microcontroller physically on your mech. Nearly everyone will be using wireless wi-fi cameras so that the bulk of the electronics (the big stuff) can be handled on the laptop side.

The programming/jiggery pokery gets waaaaay more complicated if you are using a micro controller on the mech to talk to a USB cam. It can be done but I don't suggest it for someone new.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information