Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far have robots come?

How far have robots come?

I'm just getting into robotics as a hobby, and it seems like now is a good time to do it. There's a multitude of kits available as well as all kinds of programing tools. It looks like some of the people on here have been building robots for quite a while now. I was just wondering what robotics looked like when you were getting started. I bet you didn't have it so easy.
    Who says everyone needs a signature anyway ?

Re: How far have robots come?

>> I was just wondering what robotics looked like when you were getting started.

Attachment 1036

I actually stopped playing with 'bots for many years. They just weren't mature enough (and were far too expensive) to actually do anything with.

I was stunned a year ago to see how far the space had come.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

I wanted one of the heathkits but couldn't afford one. The first robot I ever built was based around 555 timers that turned it around when it bumped into something. That was a very long time ago.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

It's definitely come a long way in a short time. I started about 2000 and spent a lot more time in junkyards and electronic surplus places. Now I mostly get everything I need online. The tools are also much more mature and easy to use.

The rate of progress has been good, but I'm a bit of a pessimist about how far we still have to go. No slight to anyone or any project on this forum -- I come here to be inspired -- but to achieve practical robots there are some serious problems that have to be solved. But we can all have fun while we do it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by metaform3d View Post
    The rate of progress has been good, but I'm a bit of a pessimist about how far we still have to go. No slight to anyone or any project on this forum -- I come here to be inspired -- but to achieve practical robots there are some serious problems that have to be solved. But we can all have fun while we do it!
    Actually, I would say this forum is probably one of the best out there as far as "real" development. I'm really sick of robotics forums plagued by 300 people all building the same repeat robot based on a picaxe - or forums plagued by 300 emails each day of "OMG HELPZ I AM NEW TO ROBTICS!!!>?<><$# WHERE SHOULD I START!#%#&*Q(? THANX TTYL BBQ". This is one of the few places where I regularly see members mounting PCs on bots and going to town - which is a minimum for any real progress...

But yeah, lots of real problems to solve.

-Fergs

Images

i only thought robots like the lynxmotion ones, were only found in mad scientists labs in movies, up until about 4 months ago... lol... but in comparison, technology has come along way in the last 20 years as it took like 45000 years to go from a spear to gunpowder... that truly is a long time...
    Hey Hamlet: 2b or not 2b = $FF

I read an article in Robot about the old heathkit HERO (can't remember how long ago). It looked interesting at least for the shear retro potential.

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    Actually, I would say this forum is probably one of the best out there as far as "real" development. I'm really sick of robotics forums...plagued by 300 emails each day of "OMG HELPZ I AM NEW TO ROBTICS!!!>?<><$# WHERE SHOULD I START!#&#37;#&*Q(? THANX TTYL BBQ"...

-Fergs
    That's about what I'm doing, but at least I have the decency to write it in something resembling English .
    Last edited by Dementedwombat; 01-18-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Who says everyone needs a signature anyway ?

back in the day, when I first started building robots, they were steam powered.

-Crabfu

Images

wow. that is cool!

Only yours, Mr. Fu...

I personally don't have any problem with noob.Questions. Everyone starts someplace. Here is as good as any other. As long as some form of reality and basic physics are adhered to, I'm happy to help.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information