Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Servos

1. Discussion of Servos

Which servos are best-in-class?

My main question is what is the most powerful servo that works with standard-sized lynxmotion kits, but the tread is open for discussion of any high-end servos.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 02-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Re: Discussion of Servors

The big mamma-jamma, to my knowledge, in the standard servo department is the HSR-5995TG Ultra Torque, coreless digital. About 417oz-in.

http://servocity.com/html/hsr-5995tg_ultra_torque.html

It's discontinued, so you have to shop around.

Its sorta-replacement is the 7955TG at 333oz-in. However, the 7950TG is "coming soon" most places, and is around 486oz-in.

The HSR5990TG is still available though, and tops out at 417oz-in as well as being quick at 0.12sec to 60deg.
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Hitec...SR-5990TG.aspx
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 02-03-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed typo and links
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

The HSR-5990TG is actually the replacement for the HSR-5995TG, as those had some heating issues.

4. Re: Discussion of Servors

What voltage is that torque at? Can they take more without damage?

(These guys still seem to have the 95... http://www.e-clec-tech.com/hstiroh.html)
    Last edited by Firestorm65; 02-03-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Images

You don't want the 5995. If you want to use the LM SES system, stick with the HSR-5990TGs (unless / until their 7 series equivalent comes out). The 5990s are supposed to have built in thermal shutdown circuits, which the 5995s did not.

By all accounts the 5990s are good servos. They can be used for many things (due to the standard case size), and can be run off a 2S Lipo (no higher) according to Hitec. (And I have 12 of them, so I'm not likely to badmouth them for the hell of it.)

That being said, I wish I had waited on my servo purchases. The Bioloid servos, while more costly, represent a leap in servo technology. The control interface is better featured, more flexible, better documented, and well, works, compared to the flimsy 2 way control (HMI) on the Hitecs. Not to mention servos like the RX-64 are rumored to work up to 24V, which provides ungodly amounts of torque to play with.

The really sad part is that Hitec could do the same with the control interface on its 5990s as well. There is a Atmel in each 5990, and if someone could figure out how to flash it, it might be a much better servo then it is.

Images

Well said all around Sienna.

5990TGs are the way to go with any high end 'hobby' servo, but if you look at all of the top competition bipeds in RoboOne, almost all of them are running RX series Dynamixels from Robotis.

I also have production ready 3D renders of brackets I've designed for the RX-64 series servo, which I'll be posting in the very near future for all to use.

If you guys are dishing out $100 bucks a pop for a single servo, then this is not a competition for the "average Joe".

Good thing I'm not an average Joe *evil laugh*

Images

Well, he was asking for best in class.

We have people modding Robosapiens which are pretty cheap. Likewise you could build a Quad for probably $400-500 total and be competitive. Really depends on how crazy you want to go with it. But no, this competition isn't for the average joe. The simple fact that you have to design and build a robot capable of doing all that we have spec'd sort of raises the bar considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Promagic View Post
    If you guys are dishing out $100 bucks a pop for a single servo, then this is not a competition for the "average Joe".

Good thing I'm not an average Joe *evil laugh*

9. Re: Discussion of Servors

Firestorm,

This is just my opinion but Im guessing you dont want to spend thousands on whatever it is you are doing so if this is the case I would recommend the 645MG from Hitec. I think you can get these for about $35 each and its a great servo for the price.

Actually - thousands is what he's looking to spend, per the other thread.
    The 645's are pretty wimpy for a humanoid... The AX-12's are a much better buy in that torque range.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information