Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Plate Color

Images

Target Plate Color

I was going to ask about target plate color since I was unsure how the color of the plates could affect those of us using lasers for targeting.

So I dug out a book of various colored construction paper, and a bright red Sparkfun box to test the laser on. It seems that with my particular lasers (Walmart laser pointers) and my camera (Airlink AIC250W) it just doesn't matter. It sees the laser dot as an off shade of white, or pink. At any rate it seems to be very visable no matter what color the background is.

So, I figured I would still post a thread about it, in case someone else has concerns or knowledge that we should all be aware of.

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Re: Target Plate Color

Unless we have a specific need for coloring them, they won't be. For those of you using any sort of machine vision to assist in tracking/aiming, please bring an appropriate color of tape or clear tape + colored paper. Plan is to put this on the target plates on a per-case basis. Basically, I don't want to tell everyone to go paint their target plates X color for Y person, if others using vision based tracking are using different colors, or if no one is for year 1.

Bottom line, if you're using a vision base setup, bring your own supplies to mark your opponents target plates, and make it an easily removable solution.

3. Re: Target Plate Color

Are target plates required to be opaque? As long as it is clearly not the same color as rest of the body.

Images

I dont care what color target plates are, since we can add colored tape to them as needed.

Images

Will there be rules on permissible "intrusion" into the target plate for the marking? E.g., for those of us with clear "cockpit" style target plates, which our camera is behind, is there going to be something that says "your mech must accomodate a 1/2" post-it style coloring around the edge of the sensing area"?

Images

I was wondering if we have to have a target plate where the camera is going to be. I was going to have the camera off the body of the mech, and wasn't really planning on making it large enough for a target plate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    Will there be rules on permissible "intrusion" into the target plate for the marking? E.g., for those of us with clear "cockpit" style target plates, which our camera is behind, is there going to be something that says "your mech must accomodate a 1/2" post-it style coloring around the edge of the sensing area"?
    Well I'm with you on this one, as my front target plate will also be shielding my camera. My plan was exactly that, like a 1/2" border around the outside of the target plate.

sthmck- I don't think that's a requirement. I mean, we don't want people having guns and cameras mounted on extensions so they can fire around corners without fear of taking damage, but otherwise just use your best judgment.

Yup. My camera will also be behind my target plate.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Yup. My camera will also be behind my target plate.
    I concur.

-Fergs

It seems with the limited space and payloads MOST of us are working with [cough]Andrew[/cough] - putting the target plate over the camera is a near must. That said - it's also more "realistic". If you wanted to "kill" your opponent in a mech, you'd concentrate your fire on their eyeballs - ie. the cockpit.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information