Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk A/V

Let's Talk A/V

As the "official" A/V coordinator for the event, I wanted to chat a bit about the A/V requirements.

The current plan is to take the output from the participants computers and display it on a big-screen for crowd involvement.

In order to do this, I'll be using a fairly high-end mixer and some other toys.

My requirements from the competitors would look like this:

- Your laptop/computer/whatever that you're using to drive the 'bot will need to be able to mirror its display. VGA output up to 1280x1024, SVideo, or Composite video are all acceptable. I don't think there's many laptops out there anymore that won't mirror their output. I will be providing SXGA -> SVideo scanline convertors that will operate up to 1280x1024. If you're going to insist on a higher resolution, and your laptop can't mirror out to a lower resolution - you'll need to provide your own scanline conversion that can handle the higher res. The Averkey 300 is probably a good choice up to 1600x1200 (although I'll be providing pro-grade units at the lower resolution). My units will pass-through at the 1280x1024 or lower, so you can still run an external monitor if that's your plan.

- I will have lots of extension cordage and power strips. If you're needing something really special, let me know.

- I will be bringing a titler as well. I'd like to pre-make my titles, so robot name/team name/your name/whatever should be provided as soon as you've settled on it. Any color-scheme that you want duplicated, or art work and whatnot for intros should be camera-ready art. If you give it to me in high-res PSD (300dpi is fine) or a vector form, I can deal with it.

- I will be recording the matches simultaneously in 1.5mbit/sec MPEG2 and 700kbit/sec WMV9. Those will be available later for download.

- I would like to run B-Roll stuff too. Interviews, bot closeups, and what-not. Just let me know that you want to participate.

In short - I'd like to produce this with some fairly high production values. If the requirements in the first bullet are going to hang anyone up, let's talk about it here and figure things out ahead of time so I can prep for it and still provide the event with the A/V that Tyberius is hoping for. My equipment is running on towards seven or eight years old, so super-high-res it isn't (except for the HD Cam).
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 02-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

2. Re: Let's Talk A/V

Do you want the direct feed of the mech or the output of the laptop? If it's the laptop (pilot's chair), mine might be in stereo and thus un-viewable.
    Last edited by Firestorm65; 02-07-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Images

Re: Let's Talk A/V

Pure awesomeness...

-Fergs

Images

Thats cool Adren,

My laptop in good to go I think. It is a Dell 6400. and has both a video connector and an S-vid port. I was thinking that we needed to pass our camera output through a router making the video available. But if that isn't needed, I'll try connecting my camera to the laptop in Ad-Hoc mode and see what rolls out.

Thanks
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Feeding it directly off of the video output is a good idea because it wont add wifi camera latency by splitting that feed.

Firestorm- Adrenalynn detailed exactly what is required- a feed off of your laptop, not the mech. Its your call really, if you can't bring a compatible solution just don't expect your fights to be included in any of the video production. There might be a way to splice the video out though.

6. Re: Let's Talk A/V

I'll figure something out...

The plan was to split the laptop/computer's output. The thinking was that not only would we have the video feed you're using then, the crowd would also get the experience of your "cockpit", whatever it ends-up looking like. More immersion for the crowd means more enjoyment.

If it's stereoscopic, we can snipe a feed from one of your onboard cameras. Or you can just feed the external output with ever-other-scanline (assuming that you're doing something like LCD shutter or something similar, that shouldn't be an issue).
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

I have no problem with any of the above. Will you have the VGA cables to hook to our laptops?

BTW, thanks for taking the lead on this one. It's gonna be a real boon for the crowd to see our HUD's.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

9. Re: Let's Talk A/V

Just out of curiosity, are street-level cameras still in?
    And yes, achieving stereo through stutter, so you can just take every other, no problem; there's got to be an easy way to program that.

Images

I'll probably rig up two street level cameras for direct feed into Jodie's equipment.

Thread Information