Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit safety

Images

Pit safety

Do we have any regulations on pit safety? I believe that barrel covers should be required at the minimum when not in a match and safety glasses for anyone entering the arena. A visual indicator on when the guns are armed is probably a good idea as well.

An accidental discharge or injury is a great way to put an early end to this competition.

Thoughts?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Re: Pit safety

I would agree that barrel covers and a visable indication of the gun arming are great ideas. There's not much danger connected with the rest of the mech, so we shouldn't need to worry too much there. On the combat bots we had to use the ultra bright led's for power indications..

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

For those that don't know, this is a barrel cover:
    http://www.iisports.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12357

Note that those won't fit because they are made for paintball guns.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

4. Re: Pit safety

What if you need to work on a weapon system and test it? You couldn't keep a barrel sock on for that. Also, what about other types of weapons? You can't barrel cover a rocket...

Images

I would say weapons tests only in the arena. I would also guess that rockets would need to be disarmed with a visual indicator until in the arena. Once again I am not an organizer but this stuff does need to be decided ahead of time so that we can design for it.
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

6. Re: Pit safety

I don't think it's fair to say "wait till the arena to see if you did fix the problem after all". I could see a target range set up for this as a solution. Visual indicators that it's ON not off, b/c then what happens when you disconnect the batteries; not that it is likely capable of firing while disconnected, but that would be an unnecessary drain that could reduce battery life in the arena if they don't swap right before going in.

Images

My guns came with those orange plastic inserts.. I plan on using that when my mech isn't in the arena. The completey block the barrel, and, have groves to let air escape incase of discharge.

Thanks, Connor

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm65 View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say "wait till the arena to see if you did fix the problem after all". I could see a target range set up for this as a solution. Visual indicators that it's ON not off, b/c then what happens when you disconnect the batteries; not that it is likely capable of firing while disconnected, but that would be an unnecessary drain that could reduce battery life in the arena if they don't swap right before going in.
    A) I have a feeling that weapons can only go live inside the arena, where it is fully enclosed.
    B) I have a feeling ample test time will be available, especially if something broke last round.
    3) Visual indicators are a battery drain? That 3-10mA for an LED is gonna make that big of a difference? If so: get real batteries.
    D) Thank you for volunteering to build a fully enclosed target range..
    V) Yeah, I ran out of things to say, but wanted to use Roman Numerals too....

-Fergs

9. Re: Pit safety

I could easily build a target range for less than 20 bucks...

Fully enclosed ballistics rated range for sub $20? Awesome! Link me to that lexan!

Remember also that we're guests of the event. Whatever their rules, regulations, insurance, religious, etc. requirements are is gospel.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information