Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Meet CLYDE

Re: Meet CLYDE

I'd say it depends a lot on load and architecture.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Success!!

I hooked the two 10 year old Nicad packs up with heavier gauge wire to VS1 and VS2 (1 and 2 jumpered together). One of my much heavier NiMH won't take a charge, that's why I resorted to the oldies. All switches were removed as well as connectors except for the Deans Plugs at the pack.

I offloaded the camera load to an enclosed 4xAA case with 2500 mAh NiMH cells. (When Clyde was just a simple BRAT, this is what he ran off of just fine.) Camera transmitted wirelessly for 25 minutes, good enough. Guns will run off of 4xAA NiMH's as well.

I had a solid run of around ten minutes before the pack supplying power to the 5990's dumped at 2.3V. Clyde was walking and balancing on one leg the whole time! (ankle servo is a 645MG) No servo overheating at all, even pushing them at 7.2V. Nice tip from Jim at LM!

Oh, and the lame servo issue... it helps if it's enabled in your .cfg file!! So, its off to buy a pair of NiMH's. Video coming soon!

Images

Here is a pick of your bot!

Images

Manny, you wouldn't happen to have photos of the gun/hopper setup as it was being assembled, would you? Those seriously are the coolest hoppers, I'm just wondering how they mate up with the guns...

-Fergs

Images

Thumbs up Tank gun hopper tutorial

Yup, sure do. I took a couple pics just in case somebody asked.

1. I completely sanded all the ridge lines off the sides and top of the guns using a belt sander and cleaned up with a scotch-brite pad.
    2. Scrounge around or ask your local machine shop for a couple plastic containers that 1" diameter endmills come in.
    3. I just eyeballed the angle that wasn't too extreme but would still allow the bb's to flow with about 33degrees elevation. Then, put them to the belt sander.
    4. I sanded away the corner of the hopper until it was about 1/2" longer than the opening to the breech of the gun. About 2 1/4" total.
    5. Using Testors Model Master cement for ABS and polystyrene, I glued up a couple 1 inch long pieces of Evergreen 1/4" square plastic tubing. When this is dry, test fit your hopper to the gun and glue the square tubing support at the rear. Do not glue the hopper yet. The Testors cement won't bond to it anyway.
    6. I found an industrial contact adhesive that bonds damn near any material, is strong but leaves a flexible not brittle joint. Look for "Welder" by Homax. Comes in a red tube with bold white writing. You can find it at Walmart or Autozone. Apply a liberal amount of Welder around the hopper opening, being careful not to get any in the breech opening. Also glue the rear of the the hopper to your square support and the reinforce the support to the gun body.
    7. Welder takes a few minutes to start setting, so be prepared to hold the hopper in place for about 5 minutes. Wait overnight for this to bond properly.
    8. Cut some side-plates to taste out of .040" styrene sheet to cover up our messy but solid bond. Glue your side-plates to the gun body using the Testors cement.
    9. Spray paint the whole assembly flat black. Be careful not to paint the gun's motor shaft.

Images

Good job Manny, I love those. It was great to meet you finally. Sorry you had all the problems though.

See ya next year.
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Excellent pics and description man! Thanks!

-Fergs

Images

CLYDE gets armor next year!

Images

... _O_

Period.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

That'll rock. Should protect the board too.

Maybe even make it lighter. I'd think weight had to be a "lesson learned" for most contenders.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information