Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbee woes

Xbee woes

Basically I have two Xbee's series 1 Pro's that no longer communicate with X-CTU after attempting a firmware update. It seemed like the process was going fine but now I can't get them to query in X_CTU.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation I have searched through some posts on the sparkfun forums but nothing I found seems to be something I can do.

All I have available to me is the sparkfun USB Explorer board. I have been hearing a lot about an RS232 board but I have no idea what that is.\

EDIT: Just realized I do have an AppBee board sitting around too if that can help anything.

Rift
    Last edited by Rift; 03-03-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Images

Re: Xbee woes

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Basically I have two Xbee's series 1 Pro's that no longer communicate with X-CTU after attempting a firmware update. It seemed like the process was going fine but now I can't get them to query in X_CTU.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation I have searched through some posts on the sparkfun forums but nothing I found seems to be something I can do.

All I have available to me is the sparkfun USB Explorer board. I have been hearing a lot about an RS232 board but I have no idea what that is.\

EDIT: Just realized I do have an AppBee board sitting around too if that can help anything.

Rift
    Have you tried all the possible baud rates?

-Fergs

Yep I have. I currently have 3 units 2 wont talk 1 will and it has firmware 1084 on it.

I was browsing through Adrenalynn's Bricked Xbee post and someone had linked some solutions on the Sparkfun forums and I noticed that a guy said that he "switched X-CTU to API mode under PC Settings and was able to write the AT mode software to the device, reset and there I was"

I'm still really new to these things and no idea what this means and if it requires another type of board or can I do it with what I have.

Rift

Images

Hey Rift,

I just tried my XBee Pro's by changing the settings for Baud rate, flow, parity, etc...Any change from the initial setup killed the communitation. The Test/Query gave an "unable to communicate with modem" message.

I tried then to read the modem from the Modem Config section of the X-CTU with the different parameters and got an error message. I cancelled the error and got a message on the bottom of the X-CTU screen.

Failed to enter command mode
    Check Com Port and Baud settings and try again.
    If read problem continues select modem type and 'Always update firmware' from controls above and click on 'Write' to force firmware update.
    Read parameters..Failed.

But, then I hit "Read" again and it read the configuration of the modem. Go figure.. There is the "Restore" button, but the manual doesn't say anything about it. I hit it, but it didn't seem to change anything.

My XBee pro's are XBP24, and I am running Version 10CD firmware. There is a version 10E2, but my modems won't accept it. I don't know what to say about the API thins, as I've never tried to use it.

Hope this helps somewhat..Good Luck..
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Well that goes to show you should always read EVERYTHING. Which I admittedly didn't.

I went back and hit Read and then selected everything accordingly per the X-CTU message

If read problem continues select modem type and 'Always update firmware' from controls above and click on 'Write' to force firmware update.

and lo and behold it did it and the Xbee is back up and running!

EDIT: About the 10E2 firmware I saw that for awhile as well but was never able to write it to the Xbee. I installed X-CTU on another computer and it was not an available option after update. I then reinstalled on the other computer and did a clean update and it was
    no longer available either. So not sure what was up with this firmware rev.

Thanks again!

Rift
    Last edited by Rift; 03-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Mine was much harder to unbrick. Took multiple resets and flashes of firmware to get it to behave again. Glad you got it worked out!
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Well it looks like my troubles haven't stopped at just firmware updates.

I was originally using these Xbee's to remove the wired theater to my SSC-32 board. A couple of months ago this seemed to work just fine. But now after these firmware problems I seem to only
    get partial connectivity.

When I initially launch the SEQ program it tells me that it cannot find the SSC-32 board and asks me to wait for the robot or click no to connect to a virtual robot. I of course clicked yes and adjusted the port settings accordingly and tried to reconnect, and still nothing. All I get is a blinking light on the SSC-32 board and a simultaneous blinking TX light on the Xbee Explorer board.

When I use just Lynxterm and send a pulse to one of the servo channels the servo reacts accordingly. I noticed that when I clicked the firmware button in Lynxterm it is unable to tell me what rev I have.

I am currently using 2 Series 1 Xbee Pro's 60mw one is connected to the Sparkfun USB Explorer board and one is setup per Tybs setup that he was helping me with a few months back. I have double checked all the wire and and Baud setups and everything is setup the way it should be. I have defaulted both modems to the default settings and the only thing I have changed on them is the baud rate which I set to 115200.

The modems respond to +++ and AT in X-CTU so they seem to be functioning properly. I just can't seem to establish a connection with the board through SEQ.

Iv pretty much exhausted all of my ideas and not sure where to go from here.

Rift

I'd drop that baudrate down. The SSC-32 always behaves funky for me on any UART at 115kbaud. I run mine at 38.4k
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Still just blinking lights when I try to connect through SEQ. =/

Thread Information