Thread: VPN Vs. Proxy, What Is The Best Way To Hide My IP?

VPN Vs. Proxy, What Is The Best Way To Hide My IP?

Okay guys, here is my issue... At my work we have our own dedicated IP which is listed with our company's website (sub.example.com). I have some places that I would not like to have this IP listed (or easily traced) although I don't want ALL web traffic sent through. Since this is an HTTP and FTP connections (a huge one will be sites like Wikipedia) I found that I can easily add a Socks4 or 5 proxy. As far as I know the only way to connect via VPN is to send all traffic. One thing that would be a huge plus is to have a static IP.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on which is better and what one will best suit my need.

Links to any sites you use would be great also.
    Dell Studio XPS Desktop, Windows Vista, 12 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SATA RAID0 HDD, Intel i7 2.66Ghz Quad Core (4 cores, 8 virtual cores). The power that's needed... plus some!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level

alex7xl Guest

Re: VPN Vs. Proxy, What Is The Best Way To Hide My IP?

Of course VPN.
    You don't need to configure all applications to work through a proxy + vpn much more stable than the proxy.
    You can use VPN anywhere: at home and at work, when travelling and on public Wi-Fi zones.
    I worked with aVPN Privacy. I liked it. Here is their website link - http://vpnprivacy.com
    You can try it. They have a vpn account for one week for only 5 bucks.
    Good luck
    Last edited by alex7xl; 01-15-2014 at 03:21 AM.

3. Re: VPN Vs. Proxy, What Is The Best Way To Hide My IP?

I too think VPN is best. You can ensure that VPN is enabled and your IP is hidden by having an IP lookup at http://www.ip-details.com/ Good luck mate.

Re: VPN Vs. Proxy, What Is The Best Way To Hide My IP?

If you want connections only for a certain port, you can use SSH tunneling, and then fake out DNS with a hosts file to resolve the target name to your localhost that forwards the port.

Thread Information