Thread: my humble efforts

1. my humble efforts

This is my first go. I had trouble working out the remote control aspects (which everyone said was easy but in reality is not-- invisible waves controlling things-- yeah right, that's easy). I'm also bad at working on small things... so, I thought I would just make a full size prototype in the shop that I can control from a cockpit to get the hang of things, then I'll scale everything down to 5kg or whatever for the competition, work in the RC and webcam stuff--even if I have to hire someone to do it.

The guy in the picture is Toby; he runs a long distance running class for obese people in the space next to mine. He's a swell guy, just in it for scale.

Of course, I'm going to tone down and miniaturize the flamethrower and other self-classified systems to hobby levels just to keep things even steven -- or is it even stephen.... something... I don't think we have rules on jump jets. Got to take those out in the final.

Right now, I'm up to $120,051.22, but there's plenty more where that came from, eh.

I digress.

It's not bad for a first effort (please be kind on feedback), but I've got another one in mind I have to try.... we'll see.

Images

Re: my humble efforts

You're a funny guy :P

4. my second attempt

Please pardon the long wait between posts/builds.

As many of you know, I'm just starting out (though no longer a noob as evidence by my hatred of
    them), so please be patient as I tune in my mech for the competition. I was unsatisfied with
    my first fully functional life-sized human piloted mech which was intended to serve as my prototype for the miniature RC mech. (Come on folks it was my first, give me a break. I'll be ready for the competition.) Also, all of the cool features were functional i.e. warp canon (folds
    space and time around an opponent's mech and warps it to a dimension of eternal noobs), were good, but didn't "feel" right for the competition.

So here, I present Mandinger D, which I made yesterday after lunch . Mandinger is based on doodles on a napkin; I know ciche, but true nonetheless.

I digress.

The hardest part of building Mandinger was skipping my nap which I normally take at 3:00pm, but a close second would be selecting the right air freshener for the human piloted saucer control vehicle that attaches to the head. (Again having trouble with RC stuff and the webcam, so I skipped it.)

At any rate, Mandinger can launch his fists as weapons (they return to the arms of course), fly, and has heat vision.

About the photo, I flew Mandinger out to the country and landed him to urinate (me not Mandinger, robots don't urinate...yet) and guess who happened by... Toby (-- having run about 50 miles from his company, TobyAhGoGo- "Come run with Toby." (adjacent to my robot garage facility), where he runs an obese long distance running class. (His point is not to lose weight but that you can eat lots more if you run.).) He wasn't even breaking a sweat. I asked Toby if he would stand for another picture to better illustrate scale. He agreed. Then I asked what he thought about this one vs the first one, and he said he liked this one.

Toby if you're readying this man, you know you are a cool dude-- an everyman-- but man, I got to tell you, I don't trust two things in this world: your taste in clothing and your taste in general. (That includes your taste in robots.) You are you're own man, though, doing your own thing and I respect that, bro.

I digress.

Yeah, so Toby did it. He ruined Mandinger for me (no offense, Toby). I don't know why I asked him. I can't like the same robot that a man who wears leotards while running likes; though, there is nothing wrong with running in leotards.

I sold Mandinger on ebay later that night to a guy with the ebay user name Dr.Hell. What ever. On to the third one.

(I know what some of you are thinking, I'm taking this stuff way to seriously. I don't joke around about robots.)
    Last edited by vertex; 03-05-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Images

I appreciate the humor, but each post doesn't need its own thread, much tidier to keep them organized under one.

Thanks!

Thread Information