Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a mech! Need help, advice, and sugestions.

Hi, ive been looking aroudn and the Bioloid has cought my atention. I know it would be a challenge, but the reason i want to do this is to learn alot more about robotics while building a fun, competition realy Mech. That said, i really only have experience with the BasicStampII, im willing to learn what i need to learn for this, but right now i need help with planning this out,
    Please help! i woudl really apreciate it as there are no robotics clubs anywhere near me that do more that the boe bot.

Hey, what if i used this to controle it instead of having an rc controler? im pretty sure this woudl work, but i have never worked with bioloid be for so im prett hopeless right now :/
    Bioloid Zigbee Wireless Module Set
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 03-15-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Images

Re: Need Help with building a Mech from a Bioloid Comprehension kit

Its a digital controller, meaning no ability to fine aim, which is its biggest limitation. Its fine for humanoid kungfu, but not for Mech Warfare.

lnxfergy here on our forums is working on a custom wireless bioloid control solution, which would replace the CM-5 onboard. Problem is, its a side project of his and he is a very busy guy, it would also require a pretty solid knowledge of C and Python to utilize.

If you want to learn C, you might pick up an Arduino microcontroller and a book on it (or read up on the net) as well as a few LEDs, servos, etc, and just start playing around. The Roboduino is also a fine choice, and is easier to plug servos into. Both are found in the Trossen Store.

Best way to learn is to dive in! Can't go wrong with the Arduino type boards as they can teach you C and the basics of microcontrollers at a solid pace. =)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post

Best way to learn is to dive in! Can't go wrong with the Arduino type boards as they can teach you C and the basics of microcontrollers at a solid pace. =)
    Solid advice here. If nothing else you can use the board for just about anything.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thanks, hmmm mabey ill just try to use the scout with stronger servos for now, but ill look up the arduino, ive heard a lot about it but never really looked it up. Does anyone here have pics of a mech that uses an arduino? Just curious.

Images

Yep. Mine is laid out with an Arduino for prototyping. I may change to a different board later though due to size restraints. Look at my blog for pics
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

hmmm im only going to have enough money to build one of these for a long time, and it will be my last big robot prodject for a long time (only getting the money for this as a combined gift for birthday and end of midleschool gift). The reason i dont want to take a robonova or anything like that and modify it is because i want to learn all about the building and programming of these robots, and i just feel like modifing one of those woudl take away a lot of the challenge. Since ive never really done anything like this befor im getting lost on the basic things already, for one, im not sure what type of servos i should use if i want to get a scout biped kit from lyncsmotion and put in my own control board and microcontroler, would the HS-5645 servos from this kit HS-5645 be enough to hold the electronics and mabey 3 of the airsoft tank guns? and what vision system could i get by with cheaply? ive seen one posted on here and was jsut wondering how cheap i coudl gt by with on this. I will continue looking threw the forums, but what cheap controle system would be good for this? (emphasis on the cheap) I know these must be dumb questions, but i really dont know much about wallking robots.

Thanks for the help,
    -Zac

Hi, I finnaly have a pretty good idea for what im deffinatly going to build, a four legged mech.
    This was choosen due to a lower price and would be a bit easier for me to do.

So far here is the parts and price list:
    LEGS = $938.48
    -12 of these servos http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=38
    =659.88
    -4 of these servo erector set leg kits http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=95
    =278.6
    BODY = $19.95
    -1 of these frames http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=88
    =19.95
    CONTROLE BOARD = $84.90
    -1 Bot Board II http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=66
    =24.95
    -1 Basic atom 28 pin http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=66
    =59.95
    Battery and Charger = FREE!!
    -8.4 or 7.4 volt batterys from my good airsoft guns, (ill have to get extras later so i dont have to swap them from airsoft gun to robot alot) '
    -no clue what my charger is, jsut a cheapo litle wall charger
    RC CONTROLER AND RECIEVER = (not yet found) $100-$200
    -not yet found
    CAMERA SYSTEM = (not yet found) 100-$200
    -not yet found
    AIRSOFT WEOPONS! = (not yet chosen, will be bought when i figure out about how much weight i can hold)
    ENTIRE BOT = anyware from $1300-$1500 without weopons :/ Not a very detailed parts list, but i am doing this from a very slow cheap laptop. please tell me if you see cheaper parts anywhere, or if you can sugest a full camera system and rc system any help is really apreciated. thanks!
    -Zac

Ok, if i can end a thread i dont know how, and ive created a new one with a litle parts list of what im planning to use for a 4 legged mech please comment on that one, i really need to learn abotu a computer controle system if anyone could help me out, thanks again, and im so excited to get the parts for my mech ordered! (they might be ordered this week or next)

ok, i am pretty sure i am going to use the Bot Board II, http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=66 , to controle the servos of my mech (when i build it), but i still dont have an idea of a controle system for the mech. i really like the idea of a computer controled mech, and would prefer that, but im up for other options too. please help if you can, i dont have a cllue how to do the computer controle and really want to find out thanks

-Zac

Images

Re: Building a mech! Need help, advice, and sugestions.

Lets keep these questions in one thread please =)

I already answered your questions via PM, but I'll reiterate here. As much as we love to help people, there are simply some things that cannot be taught over the forums.

I'd suggest picking up a microcontroller such as an arduino, a few servos and a few sensors, and start there. Pick a PC language such as C# or Python and start playing around with PC > microcontroller communication. These are all steps that I suggest most beginners take, as it will lay the foundation for bigger projects down the road. Baby steps, yno one can tell you exactly how to control a robot from a PC without you first having knowledge of microcontrollers, wireless communication methods, and PC side programming and HID interaction.

Buy a microcontroller and some parts, and start studying up. Once you get a solid grasp of these foundational components, everything comes together.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 03-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.

well for a microcontroler, im going to use the Basic stamp II since i can program Pbasic

Images

Won't be powerful enough.

ahhh i was thinking about the Basic stamp E2, but now i think ill use the one on the SSC 32 board so i can have it hooked up to the Xbee since i found your diagram on another thread. i saw a you tube video with you talking about the trossenator and it turned the top half when you moved the mouse (couldnt see the computer screen from the camera angle) is it a program you wrote yourself???

the SSC-32 servo controller is powerfull enough right?

and i found a book on C++ but i have no cle how to tell if its any good, has anyone heard of it befor? or have a good link to another book? Amazon.com: C++ Without Fear: A Beginner's Guide That Makes You Feel Smart: Brian Overland: Books

Thread Information