Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

1. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

It's a good idea Adrenalynn but like I've mentioned I can't afford to take on the programming of that type of controller really. I could maybe adapt your idea and use a system that already runs XP without a problem though?

Thanks again mate

Images

Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    It's a good idea Adrenalynn but like I've mentioned I can't afford to take on the programming of that type of controller really. I could maybe adapt your idea and use a system that already runs XP without a problem though?

Thanks again mate
    Mini-ITX = mini form factor PC = runs windows XP

-Fergs

What ^^^ he said.
    I Void Warranties�

4. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Ahhh right sorry guys it's just i was recommended a controller previously (on another project of mine) which could only be programmed in C and wouldn't allow me to use my C#/Flash project on there and thought this was a similar one. I'll look into it, thanks a lot!

5. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Intel makes a really nice, inexpensive, Mini-ITX board that includes a dual core 1.6GHz Atom 330 processor.

http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GC...8&category=100

Combined with a Pico-PSU (DC-DC power supply), you can make a very small, yet quite capable machine.

I used their previous Celeron based single core Mini-ITX board for a digital picture frame / media server project I made, and it works great with Windows XP. It also runs on very little wattage, compared to normal machines . Something on the order of 30 watts.
    Last edited by JadeKnight; 03-26-2009 at 11:03 AM.

>> dual core 1.6GHz Atom 330 processor

It's an mp3 player. My watch plays mp3's. No, serious. And mp4's, but that's beside the point.

I think he'll get along just fine with some little brainless, err, sorry, FANLESS C3-500.
    I Void Warranties�

7. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Thanks yet again for some really constructive replies. I'm made up with you lot pointing out the mini-itx because already if I were to use them it's cut a LOT of the cost in comparison to using a mini-pc that I've seen on the internet. Can't believe how cheap they are.

That's a really nice board by the looks of it JadeKnight. Seems powerful for a little thing, I may need that with me running some flash presentations on it but I'll also have a look into what you've said Adrenalynn because obviously I don't want to spend unnecessary amounts.

I've contacted a few UK retailers selling these mini-itx boards so I'm well on my way to sussing out the guts of the juke box.

One more question As you will all know, the typical digital jukebox/arcade machine has a solid glass touchscreen (for obvious reasons). Am I right to assume that the open frame monitor will be secured to the cabinet and some sort of solid touchscreen overlay would be used over the top of it?? It's not surprising that the existing companies can't even give me this kind of basic info but I'm not sure I need them with the amount of help people are giving here

Thanks again people,

Dan

P.S - I know, very cheeky - but here's a bit more of a more revealing pic of a current market leader's box if it's of any help:

8. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I think he'll get along just fine with some little brainless, err, sorry, FANLESS C3-500.
    Depends on how much he wants to spend, and how much processing muscle he actually needs/wants .

Most VIA Mini-ITXs are 1.5x-3x more expensive than Intel's, and have less processing power than Intel's . The VIA's usually have a lower wattage footprint, though (and generally don't run as hot, hence the fanless boards).

A fanless processor, as you said, may be more appropriate for a potentially sealed system like a Jukebox, though. The Intel would require a case fan to help keep it cool.

DanTheMan, do some research on the Mini-ITX boards out there, and even the Pico-ITX boards. I'm sure you can find one that'll fit the bill. (Check out http://www.mini-itx.com/)
    Last edited by JadeKnight; 03-26-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Images

Well said Jade.

For even cheaper uses http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GC...8&category=100

Single core Atom, $69.00 for 1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 30W power consumption.. wowser.

-Fergs

Thread Information