Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

1. Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Hi,

Really sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I didn't know where to place it.

To cut a long story short, I'm planning on building a few pc-based, MP3 jukebox's.

This project is in the very early stages of planning so whatever info I have gathered already is completely just ideas being thrown around. I guess throwing them around in this forum is as good as any though as any threads I've posted in the past have shown me how helpful you lot can be!

Anyway! This idea came to me after a conversation I had with a friend of mine at uni and he told me that he knew someone who could build these jukebox's matching a spec similar to mine. I got in contact with these people and they are only willing to charge me £2500 + each unit, and they're not even exactly what I want. I'm sure that if I only include someone in a certain part of the development I can save a lot of money. And that particular part will only be the part were everything needs to come together construction wise (the metal housing, the components inside securing etc.).

As a software engineer, programming the jukebox will not be a problem what so ever and I can even deal with the coin acceptors and RFID components (will be included as a nice little feature). Basically, I could create the guts of a jukebox right now if I had all of the components I plan on ordering, but bringing them altogether presentation-wise into something similar to this: http://www.thehitbox.co.uk is something I have no clue about as I'm going to need an open-frame screen securing aswell as accomodating for the coin acceptors and graphics on the exterior etc.

So my question is this: What advice would you give to someone looking for a nice glossy metal housing to a customised jukebox (and will be needing 3 or 4 of them)?? Also, for the more tech-heads out there - am I righte to simply be using a small mini-PC (duo core processor and 1gb RAM spec) for this? The only reason I have stayed away from the controllers that many of you usually mention on this forum is because they require a lot of low-level programming work and I need to be able to run XP with the C# code I will be compiling etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!! Seriously appreciated!

Dan
    Last edited by DanTheMan; 03-25-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Images

Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

What about a home theater PC chassis. There are some really nice looking ones here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...a-Center-Cases
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

3. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Jes thanks a LOT for the quick reply

The thing is, I'm going to be using it in bars/clubs so I need more of a commercial look that can be mounted on the wall. Something very similar to this:

As you can see it's an extremely simple casing and the only major features are a 17" hole to accomodate a touchscreen and the space at the front for the coin mechanism.

Thanks again!!

EDIT: I suppose the most complex part of the structure will be the inside (securing components and the open frame monitor).

A more specific question - can I buy the different corner pieces/front panel etc. to make something like this myself (more than once) without a load of tools or will I need someone else to do it??
    Last edited by DanTheMan; 03-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Images

If your planning on producing a limited run, why not make the cases out of really nice wood? Your going to be mounting them on a wall, so the back could be cabinet grade plywood...Then I would shape the sides out of something nice like walnut, maple, or even something exotic like zebra wood...Ok...that would probably be a bit overboard. Make flashing out of brushed aluminum or stainless steel, or better yet, copper... and make all of the lines as clean as possible.

I guess my point is if your making something commercial, then you should make it as "commercial" as possible. Making a jukebox is a bit of a throw back. check out steam punk for example, and consider going that route.

Steam punk

Atleast that is what I would do.

5. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Hi DarkBack, thanks for the response mate, certainly did consider wood. Would I be able to get that metal effect then from using such wood? Would it be solid enough to cope with some of the knocking and banging from a busy bar/club?? Or do you mean use the wood for the side and front panels and for the corner pieces use the metal like copper?? Sorry if I've missed your point, but I couldn't find anything on that link to do with a jukebox. I google'd steampunk jukebox and found some 'old skool' looking jukebox's but that's not what I'm after really. Like I mentioned I'm after something very similar to thehitbox.

A very modern (but simple) looking unit for the wall, the fancy featuers will from the GUI and maybe a few graphics on the front.

I would assume it's a very basic structure but even to someone like myself I haven't a clue where to start but it'd be a lot easier to get the metal pieces in and somehow attach them.

Thanks again DarkBack, this is all helpful

6. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

How would previous jukebox manufacturers tackled this issue? I know of course I haven't currently got the capital to invest in other people's services and so it's a bit of an amateurish way of going about making a few of these units but I'm hoping the end result will be a professional one. I've tried contacting other people already doing this but as you can understand, they don't give much away!!

Images

Sorry...the link wasn't meant to be about jukeboxes...but more about steampunk and to give you some ideas...making old ideas new...making things that look and feel "real" by using heavier materials. If you think about it, bars are often made of wood, and they get plenty nocked round...same could be said for dance floors. Making your jukebox out of hardwood could be as sturdy as making it out of metal, and more sturdy than making it out of plastic...probably heavier...but in a bar that might be a good thing...

Again, if you want it to look professional, then using quality materials is what is going to separate what you make from what anyone could or would make. Think about it this way...Why doesn't the bar just put a computer in the corner...or better yet an ipod behind the bar...the idea is that people enjoy interacting with a jukebox. There are plenty of commercial jukeboxes out there...The bar I tend to go to has a box that looks exactly like an old fassioned jukebox that has a digital display and a catalog that I think is downloaded from a website...

How is what your making going to be different?

I'm not trying to be a jerk by the way...just giving you advice on what I would do... What you do is up to you.

Images

I really like DB's idea with the steampunk. Look at some of these images for inspiration:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=st...-revision&cd=1
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

9. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

No mate you're not coming accross at all as a jerk! It's all helpful and I really appreciate your time.

I'm working on coming up with a unique selling point for these units but these are the really really early stages and I'm simply throwing some ideas around as to see whether this is a feasable little business venture. It will allow me to demonstrate some interesting GUI ideas and put my coding into practice so that's why I'm looking into this.

It's a perfectly valid point about the wood actually, I'm wrong to even assume it won't be as durable as the metal units. The reason I was suggesting the silver metal is that it's a clean, modern, almost 'chique' feel to a jukebox rather than the old school looking jukebox's. I didn't want to stand somewhere in the middle of the two era's with the design. I want it either ultra modern, or a twist on an old school type of design. I could picture halfway between the two proving to be a bit of a disaster. I have considered buying and adapting a few old jukebox's to hold the touch screen and computer but I can't see them competing with these new types which offer a more modern look which suits the features they provide and an old one will be harder to sell in terms of the bar finding the space and that.

As you can clearly tell, the pros and cons of the designs I'm considering are hardly outlined properly myself - I've posted this thread mid-brainstorm if you like, and the feedback I've got from here so far is seriously helping me out so thanks.

10. Re: Jukebox Project!?? (Help REALLY appreciated!)

Ahh I see the vibe steampunk are goin for. Them links have sort of opened my eyes to maybe creating a very unusual design rather than thinking of the typical metal box one that many have. These are all different things that I'm considering, but at the same time I've got to consider what I personally can contribute towards the production of these because my skills are in all honesty non-existant with working with materials like this. I'd ask if anyone has paid people in the past to put their work together like this into an enclosure but the responses may not be of much use with me being in the UK (I realise this is mainly a US forum).

Thanks again, keep them coming

Thread Information